Nokia's retail presence in the US is rather poor. They should really be opening stores of their own left and right. I stopped by the "Nokia Experience Center" north of Seattle at the Alderwood Mall which was indeed a really neat experience. I got to play with a bunch of very high end cell phones and chat about them with Brian, who was exceedingly well informed. I was totally sold on the N95 at that point, but you can't actually buy anything at a "Nokia Experience Center." Brian suggested Wallmart or Nokia USA's online store.

I went home and purchased a N95 through Amazon via Tigerdirect for $650. I couldn't bring myself to purchase something through Wallmart, even though it was a whole $2 cheaper. I am exceedingly happy with my N95, but I would have been much happier if I had been able to purchase mine a week earlier at a local retailer. Knowing where the buck stops (and they know where it stops too) is the ultimate reason to use a local retailer.

To my knowledge, the only two places in the US where you can walk in off the street and buy a N800 or any other random piece of Nokiage are their two flagship stores in New York and Chicago.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Outside of the US, I don't think there is anyone selling the N800 at retail in bricks & mortar. You guys had it good for a while!

The only way to obtain the N800 in the UK is via online retailers (Amazon, Expansys, Nokia UK) - there is zero high street presence. Not good.

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Outside of the US, I don't think there is anyone selling the N800 at retail in bricks & mortar. You guys had it good for a while!

The only way to obtain the N800 in the UK is via online retailers (Amazon, Expansys, Nokia UK) - there is zero high street presence. Not good.
Makes me ashamed to be a britt. Joking of course but it is sorta nice to know we aint entirely perfect back home.

Just to confirm I am an expat been in the US for 7 years. Planning to go home in 3 or so.

But back on subject. I think while Nokia continues to avoid a store presence this device will remain in the hands of geeks and tinkerers. An unfortunatly small market.

If we had access to Exchange Server and Office apps (read a pocket OO.o) we might get some of the execs but it will never be a mainstream every body wants one device without the ability to see it in bricks and morter stores.

And I hate to say it but how much effort is Nokia going to invest in something they see as a toy for a small crowd of geeks.

My guess only while they see input from the OOS community developing apps/UI that may help them in other mainstream devices.

I personally would love Pocket Evolution and Pocket OO.o. And it would give the Linux Handheld OS a huge boost. Even if this device is not designed to compete in that market.

Ok all that for 2c I think I have over provided my services ;o)

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
They are available in PC World. It is the first time I knew there was such a thing when I saw it in there.

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
In the UK, besides PC World, there are in Dixons Tax Free. And I've seen them in Selfridges, Oxford St.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
In Singapore they're selling the N800 at Nokia retail shops\booths, and some mobile phone shops also carry them. MSRP is S$630 (US$420), street price is around S$580 (US$385) before bargaining

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
circuitcity seem to have them, you might want to ask the store to reserve stock.
I am wondering if they are keeping stock low in case of an early release of the wimax version (says me a bit hopefully!)

Circuitcity's website actually says "not available in stores"...I've been trying to find one too