Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
During regular check for updates my phone becomes sluggish and unresponsive. When there is incoming call it is nearly impossible to get it. Is there a way to set app manager to perform updates check during the night when phone is not in use?

The Following User Says Thank You to zlatko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
thx slender, the update function also started to be gettin really anoing for me.

I did put 4 more 0's in the "%gconf.xml" file under "/var/lib/gconf/apps/hildon/update-notifier"

thx!

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
if you reboot check that change persists.

So that means the checks are performed after 1440 minutes timer has expired. Then I can just trigger manually a check in 03:00 a.m. and it will be performed every night roughly at same time via my home Wi-Fi. That solves my issues.

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Originally Posted by zlatko View Post
So that means the checks are performed after 1440 minutes timer has expired. Then I can just trigger manually a check in 03:00 a.m. and it will be performed every night roughly at same time via my home Wi-Fi. That solves my issues.
Or you could trigger it automatically at any time you wish with fcron

The Following User Says Thank You to ToJa92 For This Useful Post:
I still can't figure out how to make my N900 check for updates during the most inactive time when I am usually asleep(3-4 a.m.). Currently it checks for updates around 16:00 and that's when I am at work, thus making phone sluggish and unresponsive when I need it the most. Any ideas on the subject will be appreciated.

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Guangzhou, China
You can change timestamp in /home/user/.hildon-application-manager/last-update to the desired time of the day. It's Unix time, you will need to find a converter.

The Following User Says Thank You to mpsi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mpsi View Post
You can change timestamp in /home/user/.hildon-application-manager/last-update to the desired time of the day. It's Unix time, you will need to find a converter.
My goal is to get the N900 to check for updates every 24 hours in the middle of the night, instead of the afternoon. I don't want to disable automatic updates.

I tried setting last-update to a Unix time 24 hours before I want the automatic check, but it still checks for updates in the afternoon. I made sure the Unix time is the time I want in my timezone.

I have also tried manually pressing update when I want it to, but it won't automatically check 24 hours later. It will do it again in the afternoon.

Has anyone successfully changed the time when updates are checked?

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Guangzhou, China
I am sorry, the timestamp change I suggested doesn't work.

But I was able to change the time of update by:

- changing the interval in gconf settings as suggested by someone above to another value.
- at the desired time of the day changing the settings back to 1440.

It works!

The Following User Says Thank You to mpsi For This Useful Post: