Posts: 8 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Oceano, Ca
Howdy All,

I recently imported my contacts onto my Maemo 5 N900 from my old phone. I am using the default contact list app that comes presinstalled on the N900. For some reason, the import procedure put quotation marks around the contents of each field on my list. This has made my contact list unsearchable and all of the numbers useless.

I could undo the damage to all 250+ contact by hand, but it seems like there's probably a better way. Is there a way to edit the entire contacts list in the default application so that I can do a simple find and replace to do away with all the quotation marks? Or maybe there is a text file that is read by my contact list app that I could cut into with vim or perl? I don't know if such a thing exists. Anyways, does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers,
BJ_Covert_Action

How did you transfer your contacts - bluetooth or vcards?
What was you old phone? Was it a Nokia as the N series have a switch phone app that does a great job transfering contacts and calender

I had an env2 on Verizon. I exported them to a CSV file then converted it to a vcard format using a website (at least I think that was the format). Then I just imported using the import from file utility.

Any ideas?

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by BJ_Covert_Action View Post
I exported them to a CSV file
Maybe the quotes got introduced at this stage?

then converted it to a vcard format using a website
In any case since both csv and vcard are both plain text formats you can just load them up in a text editor and replace the quotes with nothing (assuming you haven't used quotes in any of your entries).

Yeah that was what I ended up doing, editing the vcf. I ended up having to delete all my contacts by hand first, since I had imported them once already. I would still be curious to know where contacts are saved on the phone, for future purposes, if anyone knows.

Cheers,
BJ_Covert_Action