Posts: 48 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Austin, TX, USA
Last year, my N770 succumbed to the WSOD shortly after being out of warranty. I ended up buying an N810 which I now use for my internet tabletty needs.

Since it seems that the N770 still works, just without a display, I imagine it could still be used for a number of purposes such as a headless MP3 player, web server, bluetooth-to-WLAN gateway or others.

My problem is that, since I reflashed it trying to fix the WSOD, there now is no way to access the device.

I guess what I would need is a root image that either has USB serial or USB networking+ssh included, or that can be configured on the PC side with SSID and WPA key so that it boots directly to a network prompt.

Does such a solution already exist?

Henning

I have exactly same situation... Got 770, got WSOD, got 810... Now I want to put 770 in use, like you
But I haven't reflashed it, since I did not find any solution to WSOD...
Maybe, there is a way to repair broken video card (or any other thing, that makes WSOD), but I haven't found...
I have thought about possibility to set up apache on 770, but havent tried it either... :P
I will watch this post, hoping to get some answers too...

I'm pretty sure that it won't be practical to repair the display - other posts indicate that the chip containing the display electronics would have to be replaced, which would require some quite sophisticated soldering equipment.

I'm thinking along the lines of using the vanilla OS2007 JFFS2 root image and modifying it on the PC side to include an ssh server, and to pre-configure the WLAN connection so that the N770 boots up to an accessible state.

Henning

I'm also in the same boat! My 770 ended up with a WSOD, now I've got an n810.

What on earth can I do with it?

If you have a n800, you can use your WSOD 770 as a battery charger since both n800 and 700 use the same type of battery, but not n810.

Or as a bedside reading light, flashlight, fancy brick...

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
has anybody tried to get it repaired by nokia? i once sent a mail about it to one of their official service and support partners here in vienna - they didn't even answer. i just wonder if they still could do it if i'd pay for it... and what it would cost.

OK, I figured out how to extract the root JFFS2 image from Nokia's "Fiasco" image, and how to mount it on my Linux box.

The problem is that Maemo depends on its GUI utilities to configure the network, all pertinent settings are stored in the gconfig database - it would be difficult to set this up remotely.

It might be easier to strip the image down to something more resembling a basic Debian installation, and to figure out how to configure the WLAN interface via shell scripts.

Re the subject, use a working 770 to create and test a boot-from-MMC install. Maybe a script that connects to wifi and starts x11vnc without user interaction.

Then just insert that MMC into the WSOD'd 770. You'd probably have to have set up that 770 for dual boot before the WSOD though, hmmm.

Originally Posted by dmphzhopjrbffx View Post
Re the subject, use a working 770 to create and test a boot-from-MMC install. Maybe a script that connects to wifi and starts x11vnc without user interaction.

Then just insert that MMC into the WSOD'd 770. You'd probably have to have set up that 770 for dual boot before the WSOD though, hmmm.
USB networking might help. Apparently, Fanoush's boot menu has USB networking support (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=9649), by making the USB-networking-with-telnet selection the default one, the tablet should boot blindly into a state where we can log in from the PC.

At the very least, this would make it possible to start figuring out how to configure and start wlancond without having to flash new images all the time.