I'd like to update the firmware of my N900. NSU doesn't do the trick as I'm using a beta firmware. I'd like to update to a official FW.

Maemo-flasher 3.5 does not work at all in Windows 7 64bit. I followed the guide and it just hangs saying "Suitable USB device not found". Yes, I did the 'u' thing while connecting the cable.

Any ideas how to proceed?

I would say format your pc back to vista 32 bit, 64 bit is no good for most apps. I dont this the app will ever support 64 bit.

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
I think you need to do it on a different OS, I dont think Win7 64bit allows you to proceed? Correct me if I'm wrong people.

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
It should work with 64 bit Windows also. I have read about several successful attempts to flash the N900 using 64bit W7 or Vista.

did you read this?

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
There are CD Bootable versions of windows XP and Vista. WinPE comes to mind. They run from a live CD like for resetting password, troubleshooting, etc. Boot one of those and run Flasher, problem solved...

Could be done with Live CD Linux as well.

Originally Posted by Paapaa View Post
I'd like to update the firmware of my N900. NSU doesn't do the trick as I'm using a beta firmware. I'd like to update to a official FW.

Maemo-flasher 3.5 does not work at all in Windows 7 64bit. I followed the guide and it just hangs saying "Suitable USB device not found". Yes, I did the 'u' thing while connecting the cable.

Any ideas how to proceed?
I wonder if you can run VMWare on a linux image and flash it from there?
Or if you have win7 ultimate you can run the xp virtual mode...

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
I tried also to update with NSU and it messed my phone too. I have win 7 64bit and I tried xp virtual mode too but it didn't work.

The easiest way is just use your friends etc. computer with 32bit OS and reflash.

It's sad that 64bit Windows is highly underestimated since it's the best there is.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
burn ubuntu live cd and put flasher + fw image to usb stick
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 344 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by ukbill69 View Post
64 bit is no good for most apps.
Win 7 64bit uses WOW, which emulates 32bit environment for apps that needs it.
Problem with the flasher is that it also uses a certain USB driver for flashing the n900, and the driver probably has not been updated to support 64 bit OS.

Originally Posted by ukbill69 View Post
I dont this the app will ever support 64 bit.
Why not? This doesn't make any sense. The PC's RAM size standard is rapidly increasing, and the day when 8gb of RAM will be the standard is not too far ahead. 8gb of RAM cannot be consumed properly on 32bit system.

If this is the case it will be a very poor scenario.
I have to ask my friend to use his PC every time I want to reflash my n900

Is this information is solid? What is the info origin? or is this just your opinion?

I sincerely hope this is not Nokia's final answer about this issue.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to omeriko9 For This Useful Post:
Thanks for helping. The "unsigned driver..." option also didn't help. It just doesn't find a suitable USB device.

It looks like I have to try the Linux + USB memory stick way.

Tags
stupid windows