Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
I have had this n900 about a month.
I installed update Freemantle 1.2
Looking for workable mapping software, as Ovi maps is yuk
Installed Mappero
Them after a few days, every time I try for update, it gets stuck on Mappero.
Says it can't update because gstreamer0.10-plugins-good-extra needs installing.
Gstreamer doesn't appear in Applications repository
Freemantle 1.2 'extras' repository is there
installed chroot and installing gstreamer tools - no good
tried the gstreamer plugin as described in error - not found
Searched, but can find nothing about installing gstreamer on n900.
Anybody?

Mish

the best i get is on gstreamer0.10-plugins -

not available but referred to by another package
may mean package is missing, obsolete, or avalable from another source
package has no installation candidate

M

If I do gstreamer0.10-plugins-good it says it is already there...

I think I understand - it is installed, but not the version Mappero thinks it should be? So, I've uninstalled Mappero, and chalked that down to another piece of mapping software that is no use on the n900. Just as well I found a cheap n810 with car-mount kit to mess about with - looks like sat-nav might work on that? If not, I guess I'll need a flash-disk for the TomTom when we move, I guess.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
Try removing KMPlayer and Extra Decoders and try again.

Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
what's the exact error you get? what's the version of gstreamer-plugins needed for Mappero? Did you tried to install the newest version with apt-get?

Can't uninstall KMPlayer as it is not installed because it throws up an error - Application packages missing - xsltproc. Extra decoders not installed either, because it throws up similar error as mappero, which is:
application packages missing: gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-extra
the error on mappero was:
application packages missing: gstreamer0.10-plugins-good-extra

Media Player and Media Box seem to work OK using local content - although I am having problems connecting to the Media Centre other than via the file manager.

That is acting weird - it plays some BBC video podcasts but not others (missing codecs), it plays a Bjork video ripped from VCD, but not one of Johnny Cash - and none of the Media Centre recorded videos work any more... Some things throw up a codec error, others just throw me back to the Media Player page. Jimmy Page & the Black Crowes plays (from a VCD), but some of the videos I shot using my Sony Cybershot play, jerkily, while others don't load at all.

I'm thinking the only thing that has changed is installing Media Box...

Mish

Last edited by mishmich; 2010-06-29 at 01:49. Reason: add

flashed the device. Still doesn't play all my media, but at least I could install the extra codecs and Kmplayer. Device seems to work better, and there appears to be more stuff showing up in under applications than before. Flashed straight into the latest 1.2. I had upgraded when it was released soon after buying, but the device seems quicker having flashed it again. Installed debian-chroot & easy-debian again, and it just picked up the earlier installation without me having to anything else.

Mish.

I had a similar problem. I uninstalled and re-installed extra decoders. If you haven't installed extra decoders, try installing them.

Originally Posted by ugknite View Post
I had a similar problem. I uninstalled and re-installed extra decoders. If you haven't installed extra decoders, try installing them.
Tried that.
Same error appeared afer trying to reinstall mappero

Now neither mappero or extra decoders (uninstalled as suggested above) will install.
Never had Mirror installed - which is suggested may also be to blame.

On attempting installation:
Mappero reports - applications package missing: gstreamer0.10-plugins-good-extra

Extra decoders reports - applications package missing: gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-extra

Are these apps broken forever?