Closed Thread
Originally Posted by bbin View Post
Yeah right. At the speed of Intel's development it will be released in 2016 and first device ships 2019.
Come on this is better than nothing, days ago everyone is blaming and crying: Is the end of the comunity, Maemo is Dead, WebOS is dead, MeeGo is dead, no more linux mobile devices after the N9 ever, and now we have Samsumg on our team, this is really good news!! I am sorry for the QT thing but now we have HOPE when before we had only desesperation.

The Following User Says Thank You to -Tyler- For This Useful Post:
as a day to day user of the KDE desktop one of the key things that made nokia/meego interesting was its use and promotion of QT, if Tizen doesn't use that then it lessens my interest in exactly the same way as Nokia downplaying "linux" in its QT marketed handsets.

i also doubt the capability of Tizen to be anything more than still-born if it doesn't use a decent mobile focussed UI toolkit like Qt.

i have seen too many of these mobile linux partnerships come and go to no real effect, at the end of the day nokia is on its fifth generation of mobile linux products, that is at least a real track record to place some trust in.

i'm all for meego being folded into Tizen, and wishing it every success, but without nokia and Qt i remain skeptical, and quite happy to continue with an N9 for the next couple of years.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
HTML5 applications, isn't that similar to the the original LiMo devices?
That would explain that they intend to release early in 2012. Could it just be the open-sourcing of the LiMo base?

anyhow, sounds like a management decision, taking very hastily, just like the moblin/maemo merger.
lets see if they actually release a mobile device based on the codebase from this new project. intel doesn't have a good track record on this (no Moblin on the LG phone, no MeeGo (non-harmattan) phone etc.)

Here's a quote from the official Intel statement:

http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/...mo-intel-appup

Quote:
We also encourage MeeGo developers to consider a common development framework of HTML5 to bridge development between MeeGo and Tizen devices. And on the netbook side the MeeGo neetbook apps in the Intel AppUp center will be compatible and will run unchanged with Tizen netbook. So for those developers who invested in MeeGo for netbooks your apps will continue on Tizen netbooks.
This seems to imply that Tizen is a regular Linux distribution at its core, with the proper native toolkits.

However, the message on meego.com paints a different picture. There, the message is more along the lines of "MeeGo is dead, sucks to be you if you don't migrate to HTML5 soon".

I sense conflicting messages coming from Intel.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tkatchev For This Useful Post:
Sounds like that's exactly what it is...

I don't know why they chose to have yet another rebranding, though.

Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Could it just be the open-sourcing of the LiMo base?

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Actually isn´t html5 cross-platform? No gtk, qt, proprietary bs, works (hopefully) on every platform?
Maybe some day we can choose whether we want a M$ kernel or linux, and all the apps will work. Those who want a slower device with more crashes and that costs and that cripples your freedom, can choose the monopoly/mafia os and the rest can choose Linux.

Maybe the desktop distros should start thinking about html5? The sofware companies could finally make really crossplatform games and other apps. Don't worry, it will never happen...

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
Don't look in here these days, don't use my n900 often now I have a Xoom, but this caught my eye in an e-mail from MeeGo community. Yawn. So, another unfinished product without any marketed commercial application... Moblin, Maemo, LiMo, WebOS, MeeGo, now this? How long will these guys keep up this smoke-and-Mirrors routine? I don't think any of them - Intel, HP, Nokia, etc.- are capable of bringing a functional mobile OS to market. The future is a three-horse race between Apple, Microsoft and Google, and the future is not open, it is closed. But, they had fun playing with our time and money - "never give a sucker an even break" (W.C. Fields). Now I am sure I am wrong, ignorant, and so on - but it doesn't matter, because I doubt I'll read any responses to this.
Maemo 5, Windows 7 (for MCE, MS.Word+Endnote), Debian, Ubuntu, trying to get LibreOffice Writer+Bibus working properly with EndNote bibliography, given up trying to get MythTV working with AverMedia Galaxy DVB-S USB tuner. Linux & astronomy: http://mishastro.wikispaces.com/

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Intel merges to sink.

Originally Posted by mishmich View Post
...The future is a three-horse race between Apple, Microsoft and Google, and the future is not open, it is closed.
If you mean "the future" of mobile phone operating systems, you may be right about the three horse race. But Windows Phone hasn't proven itself yet. For now I would say a two-horse race.
Microsoft has a terrible track-record in mobile. Just because the marketing hype talks about a three-horse race, doesn't make it so.

In tablets it is even less clear. iPad is the only really successful tablet device today. Will Google and/or Microsoft introduce an equally successful tablet? Far from certain. This definitely isn't a three horse race yet.

And in laptop/desktop computers? Apple is making big inroads in the high-end segments and among students and youth, but it is still over 90% Windows. Chrome OS or Android for netbooks look ok, but isn't big at all. Other linux distributions like Ubuntu are making impressive progress, but still have a relatively small user base. A three horse race?? Really?

Also "the future is closed", really? Today everybody uses some sort of open-source software product in one way or the other. That wasn't the case ten years ago. The fact that people don't use an open OS, doesn't mean they don't use open-source software on it. At least not today, so why in the future?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Thats yet another proof, that if we want to have something done right, we must do it ourself. Fortunatelly, we have quite good software base, but judging after Cordia fail, we should start designing device from "scratch" as soon as we can. It's not easy process, but very rewarding (see Open Pandora).
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
déjà vu, tizen