Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
I'm not sure why I was successful the first time I tried it, but I haven't been able to replicate that success. However, it wasn't dsme triggering the reboot, but one of the watchdogs, I put my N900 into R&D mode and disabled the watchdogs and now it just locks up for a while rather than rebooting, and I did at least get some interesting debug output in dmesg, I guess it is some sort of issue with the USB drivers that pulseaudio presumably triggers, I've attached the relevant dmesg output to this post and maybe someone will be able to make sense of it.
By what I have found out by reading about similar troubles on the internet is people experience these troubles on usb 1.1 because of some module issue but I really cannot make anything out of it, can you try usb1.0 or usb2.0 to see if it still crashes?? of course if the card is usb 1.1 then running on usb2.0 will not help but do try. If truble still arrises then possibly some module trouble (I think not but a possibility) as this happens across the internet. Here are a few situations:
http://blackfin.uclinux.org/gf/proje...on=ForumBrowse
http://groups.google.com/group/hawkb...cda84b8c?pli=1
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-usb/msg14080.html
http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/OTG-P...-td642720.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/davinci-.../msg14437.html
Good luck

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pablocrossa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Thanks, but I couldn't see the relevance of those links.

But I was running it in full speed mode since I couldn't get it working in high speed mode, and even plugged into my netbook it seems to connect to the USB sound card in full speed mode, however I tried it on my other N900 and that did connect in high speed mode. And I did get it working again for a while on that N900 with pulseaudio, however when I switched pulseaudio back to internal speakers and then tried to switch back to the USB soundcard again, it locked up requiring me to unplug the USB soundcard to get my N900 responding again, and it resulted in another lot of messages in dmesg which were similar, but not identical.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Thanks, but I couldn't see the relevance of those links.

But I was running it in full speed mode since I couldn't get it working in high speed mode, and even plugged into my netbook it seems to connect to the USB sound card in full speed mode, however I tried it on my other N900 and that did connect in high speed mode. And I did get it working again for a while on that N900 with pulseaudio, however when I switched pulseaudio back to internal speakers and then tried to switch back to the USB soundcard again, it locked up requiring me to unplug the USB soundcard to get my N900 responding again, and it resulted in another lot of messages in dmesg which were similar, but not identical.
Could it be a bug/incompatibility with our version of musb??

The Following User Says Thank You to pablocrossa For This Useful Post:
I don't honestly know.

However, I remember (and hopefully I'm not mis-remembering here) reading/hearing an interview with a pulseaudio developer who said something about pulseaudio using features in sound card drivers that aren't normally used and consequently weren't tested properly and therefore exposing bugs in the drivers, so my money is on it being a problem with the snd_usb_audio driver and musb is just showing up in the trace just because the driver uses it. I'm guessing here but I suspect backporting a newer version of the snd_usb_audio driver will fix this, but I could be on the wrong track.

Maybe some debug info from pulseaudio would be useful here, anyone know how to get it?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
I don't honestly know.

However, I remember (and hopefully I'm not mis-remembering here) reading/hearing an interview with a pulseaudio developer who said something about pulseaudio using features in sound card drivers that aren't normally used and consequently weren't tested properly and therefore exposing bugs in the drivers, so my money is on it being a problem with the snd_usb_audio driver and musb is just showing up in the trace just because the driver uses it. I'm guessing here but I suspect backporting a newer version of the snd_usb_audio driver will fix this, but I could be on the wrong track.

Maybe some debug info from pulseaudio would be useful here, anyone know how to get it?
This makes sense, it is the FIFO error that I find strange
can we restart the service with a debug/verbose option?? I cannot find anything of the sort with
Code:
sudo portaudio --help
EDIT: can you link me to the snd_usb_audio source?? is it a module from the kernel??

Last edited by pablocrossa; 2012-04-18 at 14:54.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pablocrossa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pablocrossa View Post
This makes sense, it is the FIFO error that I find strange
can we restart the service with a debug/verbose option?? I cannot find anything of the sort with
Code:
sudo portaudio --help
EDIT: can you link me to the snd_usb_audio source?? is it a module from the kernel??
I cannot even find the module on the N900, I have power46 so maybe it was added later :P do you guys have it

Code:
find / -name snd_usb_audio
EDIT: Do we even have the soundcore module
EDIT2: I think i need to compile a lot of ALSA stuff but it makes no sense, what is wrong here

Last edited by pablocrossa; 2012-04-18 at 18:27.

I cannot even find the module on the N900, I have power46 so maybe it was added later :P do you guys have it

Code:
find / -name snd_usb_audio
Do we even have the soundcore module
Try
Code:
find / -name snd-usb-audio.ko

I don't know if it is in power46 as I'm running v49 and v50 on my N900s.

For the kernel-power source, you can find download instruction in the kernel-power devel thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Try
Code:
find / -name snd-usb-audio.ko

I don't know if it is in power46 as I'm running v49 and v50 on my N900s.

For the kernel-power source, you can find download instruction in the kernel-power devel thread.
I have the source myself, compiled the r8187 modules before
your command finds nothing (the .ko should not make a difference). I might compile the modules from a newer kernel power and insmod them otherwise I just cannot find soundcore, even in the lsmod list, is it the same for you or is my powerkernel really this bad

your command finds nothing (the .ko should not make a difference).
Yes, it absolutely does make a difference. Unless you use wildcards find will only match the exact filename.

No, I don't have soundcore as a module, presumably soundcore is built in since it is always going to be needed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
pablocrossa, why making a PITA for Yourself? Just update from buggy kp46 to excellent KP50.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Tags
h-e-n, usb audio