Active Topics

Notices

I hope id start licensing that engine out to as many devs as possible.

I think this is more of a testament to his programming ability than anything else though. The guy has been a pioneer in his field. Now to wait for the inevitable ripple effect. Since Bethesda own iD now, I'm sure we can expect to see some epic RPGs coming to mobile devices like PSP2 and 3DS.

No you won't see anything like it on the N900 because nokia does not support the N900 anymore.

All that MeeGo coming to N900 is BS as well due to the closed source drivers in the N900 which nokia is not willing to release.

By the time those are coded by the community MeeGo3 will probably come out and break backward compatibility all over again.

Also compared to android and iPhone the sales of N900 are abysmal and it will take at least 2-3 years of backward compatible MeeGo OSes, which nokia never in it's history was able to provide, to encourage developers to invest time and resources at such a scale.

Also you should keep in mind that thare's no less than 3 new OSes coming out this year:
-symbian3 (will probably break compatibility again next year, symbian 4)
-meego
-windows phone

Considering Nokia's popularity in the US (cause that's where all the major gaming companies and developers are) you'll never ever see quality games on one of Nokia's OSes.

iOS
Android
Windows mobile
-will take the whole game market away from nokia by simply offering decent support and backward compatibility.

If you think somehow symbian sells good, you're wrong. It sells good to soccer mums. 90% of all symbians ever released are ridiculously underpowered and don't even have HWA.

THE END.

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Bec View Post
All that MeeGo coming to N900 is BS as well due to the closed source drivers in the N900 which nokia is not willing to release.
That statement is "BS" we have MeeGo and will continue to have it for a fair time.

In regards to games on the N900, well, we have TV out and with a BT mouse and hopefully soon maybe a USB mouse I think we could have something pretty cool for semi-mobile gaming.

Originally Posted by Spotfist View Post
controls wouldn't work on the n900 and everyone knows that no company would release a game with sub standard controls, perhaps on the n9 as that has a touch pad if Im correct... then maybe a port to n900 with auto-aim, seriously why would anyone want to play a game like this on the n900?

Quake3 was good as a demo to show your mates but it's wasn't a game I would say was perfect. stick to console emu's I say as they have buttons instead of a mouse
Huh? The controls could work like Metroid Prime: Hunters on the DS. You use the touchpad to aim (like a mouse) and the keys for movement controls.

Originally Posted by GameboyRMH View Post
Huh? The controls could work like Metroid Prime: Hunters on the DS. You use the touchpad to aim (like a mouse) and the keys for movement controls.
Or a PS3 pad or Wiimote?

Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
That statement is "BS" we have MeeGo and will continue to have it for a fair time.

In regards to games on the N900, well, we have TV out and with a BT mouse and hopefully soon maybe a USB mouse I think we could have something pretty cool for semi-mobile gaming.
I think 6 moths for a bt mouse was quite a lot of wait for an ability that Nokia ('s probably incapable developers) crippled (probably unwillingly) when coding the touch drivers.

The lack of support, because let's face it any smart company would have brought MeeGo on the N900 to jumpstart developing, not Nokia however, is discouraging for any gaming company that has ever invested time in nokia.

Also, look out there, N900 is the most expensive smartphone next to iCrap, yet it provides the lowest CPU clock, a mediocre GPU, no multitouch and one of the lowest standby times.

The androids out there already offer 3 days usage (not standby) time, 1ghz cpus and HD video while Nokia still is the last company on the market to not have discovered multitouch.

What does the brick N900 have to offer compared to all those androids?
Not even flash 10...

So please tell me how you'll fix the hardware on this most immense brick?
Because garage cooked MeeGo rom that won't even have power management simply doesn't cut it for the 600$ this brick cost me.