Active Topics

I have Google Hangouts installed on my Sailfish X through Alien Dalvik. However, there is no launcher icon for it in my app menu; the only ways I've found to launch it are either to wait for a message to come in and tap on the notification, or to go into the app store and manually open it from there. Is there any way to either "force-show" an app's icon, or failing that, to create some sort of icon shortcut that will launch it?

The Following User Says Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
I had the same annoying issue with Hangouts, but managed to solve it by finding name of the Hangouts activity and then creating a custom desktop file that calls it. It looks like this:

Code:
[nemo@Sailfish ~]$ cat /usr/share/applications/custom-hangouts.desktop 
[Desktop Entry]
Exec=apkd-launcher /home/.android/data/app/com.google.android.talk-1.apk com.google.android.talk/com.google.android.apps.hangouts.phone.BabelHomeActivity
Icon=/home/nemo/software/icons/hangouts.png
Name=Hangouts
Type=Application
Version=1.0
X-Nemo-Application-Type=no-invoker
X-Nemo-Single-Instance=no
X-apkd-apkfile=/home/.android/data/app/com.google.android.talk-1.apk
X-apkd-packageName=com.google.android.talk
Don't forget to specify a valid icon, which in my case is located in /home/nemo/software/icons/hangouts.png.

The custom desktop files makes a "Hangouts" icon show up in the app grid & Hangouts can be used as any other native or Android application.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Thanks, works perfectly!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:

Tags
aliendalvik, sailfish os