Poll: What I would like in my new Jolla Phone is
Poll Options
What I would like in my new Jolla Phone is

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by injobuser View Post
I'd like to insiste that Jolla's smartphone to be dual sim standby, so use 2 SIM cards = 2 phone numbers. Lack of dual sim was the greatest disadvantage of N9 for me. This is commonly used solution, especially in Asia, and it make huge increase of comfort. When I can have in one and the same mobile together: bussines number + private number, number for calls + number for cheap internet, etc. etc.
I'd like this need to be noticed by Jolla as it is really needed by in-job-users like me, and millions of similar like me. Hardly needed. For me this is must have option - that was the reason I had to change from my N9 for other but dual sim mobile.... And I can use it for fun on weekends instead of everyday, as I would like to. Dual SIM PLEASE!
+1
ten chars

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Please add hybrid resistive/capacitive display to the poll.
Maybe this should be forwarded to council, so they can talk with Jolla?

Last edited by marmistrz; 2012-08-20 at 07:35.

Not too worried about h/w keyboard. I can type faster on n9 than on n900. Would be nice is it's still a thin device and there's more space on the top row but i'll use a laptop if i've got to type an essay

haha this thread is jokes...

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Pordenone
Originally Posted by lorul2 View Post
Results Update:

An N900 successor
strong Meego Core but open to community software
OMAP5 Processor
lmore memory than 1GB (will that make a diff?)
physical keyboard
stylus capable
high res screen (720p or greater depending on cost)

I would be willing to pay more for my "Dream Device" The suggested retail for the n900 when I bought it was $599, I would go $899 for the next N900.

BTW: I know this isn't hardware related and someone will correct me if I am wrong, but don't we want the software to be deb based instead of rm? Will there be a backward compatibity/port issue?

Update: For those who want to vote screen size I think of 720p as the smaller screen 3.5" etc., and 1080p as the larger 4+ inch screens. Hope this helps in picking big screen over smaller.

Update 2:
I'm not sure why all this "HATING" is going on. This thread was simply trying to see what Jolla's potential customers would like see in their new device, thats all. This is a stand alone thread and has nothing to do with the other Jolla talk. Can't the community express what it would like to see in a new device?
I think it must be a N9 successor cause MeeGo Harmattan 1.2 is on N9 not N900 based on Maemo style

The keyboard is most important
and if display should be lower than 3.9" i would not pay it sure, too small
and if the battery will be over 1800mAh is perfect
unless 2 days of use

As for me, OMAP5 seems to be bad choice because of their weird policy of restricting some things to "general purpose" devices and limiting HS devices only to huge vendors with NDAs.

And I dislike Qualcomm as it's more cellular modem than CPU. Sometimes I really want to get rid of cellular and I guess it's not something that is easy to achieve when cell thing boots first and only then UI CPU booted by it. Not to mention I have no reasons to trust to huge closed-source OS of cell phone which can have complete access to UI part and all it's resources.

As for me, Exynos could be interesting. As far as I can remember Samsung usually haves less of dumbrestrictions. At least I was able to find datasheet which explains all details of CPU including "secure boot" operation.

Tegra 3 also looks good due to powerful GPU (unfortunately very closed source one - potential source of troubles) and very cool idea with additional low-powered core. This could allow quite a good standby times while remaining fully operational.

Keyboard? I think it's smart to do 2 versions; one with keyboard and one without it. So everyone could be happy.

USB host is a real must. SATA is ... weird for phone.

Screen... as for me I vote for high-quality LCD. Because OLED would degrade faster. On other hand it consumes less power. Yet apple prefers LCDs and there are some reasons.

Battery... it's really handy to have replaceable one. Not to mention that when things are going wrong and battery goes fat, device could be completely destroyed if battery is not replaceable. As well as making it too hard to replace battery when it dies.

And sure, I would expect it to be N9/N900 successor for sure. You have to continue where Nokia nuts left. In fact it's very stupid move for Nokia. They finally started getting things right and... started to make dumb moves. Weird. Thank you Mr. Elop for destroying Nokia. Now someone smarter should have a chance.

Last edited by PowerUser; 2012-08-21 at 12:43.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PowerUser For This Useful Post:
This is want I want in my new phone:

All that N900 has +:
NFC
Faster/Newer Hardware!
Longer battery time
Android App's compatibility/Emulation
Voice phone operation (or what ever is called)
Good front camera for Video calls
Thinner

N900 has it alredy, but a absolute must have is:
Physical keyboard
Phone support (3/4G)
SMS
GPS
Wifi
Bluetooth
Memorycard
VoIP and Skype integration
USB port (some mini ones)
User remoavable battery

/Mami

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Pordenone
bhe i know that jolla is working on a 3,5'' inches phone....
bleah unless 3,9''....
the importat point is BE SUCCESOR OF N9 to be a real meego device and not a N900 successor. N900 has nothing to do whit Meego

Originally Posted by michdeskunk View Post
bhe i know that jolla is working on a 3,5'' inches phone....
bleah unless 3,9''....
the importat point is BE SUCCESOR OF N9 to be a real meego device and not a N900 successor. N900 has nothing to do whit Meego
N9 would be great. But only if it had hw kbd.
I'd prefer an N900 successor with meego/N950-Lauta successor

I liked my N900. I am on Android now and once a month the SIII owners mention something fantastic that will come and I'm all "...my previous phone had that".

The N900 had many flaws but judging by my Android phone, that seems to be the standard these days.