Active Topics

Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

If I want to buy complete device (not motherboard), will it be possible to assemble my Neo900 with national keyboard (namely russian) ?

Originally Posted by serges View Post
If I want to buy complete device (not motherboard), will it be possible to assemble my Neo900 with national keyboard (namely russian) ?
Yes, sure.

You can put your own (localized) keyboard to the N/eo900. There is no HW difference between English, Czech or Russian keyboard
Only (SW) keymap must be changed - maybe there is an package for that.

#lexik

Last edited by lexik; 2013-12-12 at 16:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to lexik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Sorry if asked before, [...] Now, the actual question - how it will look on Neo900? Does that "complete control over modem" mean we will get all info *and* be able to force some connection parameters, like with stand-alone cellular modems for PCs?

/Estel
please use http://m2m.gemalto.com/products/requ...l?product=phs8 to get the info you asked for, or use google ;-)
/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-12-11 at 09:37.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by lexik View Post
Originally Posted by serges View Post
Yes, sure.

You can put your own (localized) keyboard to the N/eo900. There is no HW difference between English, Czech or Russian keyboard
I think he means if any national keyboards (that is, keyboards with e.g. Russian letters printed on) would be available. I am also slightly curious about that, the only after-market keyboards I've seen on eBay are English and Chinese.

Slightly off-topic but I bought a second-hand N900 with a Dutch keyboard and it always switches to a Dutch layout after a reflash. My other N900 with an English keyboard flashed with the same image switches to the English layout. How does it know which keyboard is used if there is no HW difference?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
@all: we're also depending on what's available from aftermarket
@pichlo: see CAL. It's not the kbd, it's the device (but that goes OT now)

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-12-11 at 20:16.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Germany, Berlin
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
@pichlo: see CAL. It's not the kbd, it's the device
For what is CAL see: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=20465
No easy finding ... should that have its own wiki page?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ulle For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
New progress update!

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by http://neo900.org/news-0006-progress-update
there are some differences in our approach where we disagree with FSF and we believe that in fact our concept is better for user privacy and freedom than what FSF suggests.
I would be interested to know what the FSF thinks of these differences. FSF approval could boost this project and I think it would be a good idea to work together with them. Saying that your concept for user privacy is better than the FSF's won't do you any favours in getting FSF approval. Remember that user privacy is one of their main goals too.

With regards to modifiable modem firmware, I agree with you that the user should have control and be able to upgrade it. Given the nature of closed firmware, it would be difficult to tell if there is anything in there already that would allow an OTA update by an external source. Perhaps we could have a daemon or cron job that periodically reads firmware ROM to check to see if it has been modified.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following User Says Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
I would be interested to know what the FSF thinks of these differences. FSF approval could boost this project and I think it would be a good idea to work together with them. Saying that your concept for user privacy is better than the FSF's won't do you any favours in getting FSF approval. Remember that user privacy is one of their main goals too.

With regards to modifiable modem firmware, I agree with you that the user should have control and be able to upgrade it. Given the nature of closed firmware, it would be difficult to tell if there is anything in there already that would allow an OTA update by an external source. Perhaps we could have a daemon or cron job that periodically reads firmware ROM to check to see if it has been modified.
So what's the question? You answered it yourself. And actually there IS NO hardware concept to have a modem with firmware that's not modifiable, the chip manufacturers won't use fuse ROM to store their firmware, and as soon as it's flash it CAN get modified. And you can't make sure that what you "read out from ROM" is the actual content and not some fake that the malware delivers to you. Regarding FSF approval: we are not interested in getting THAT approval, we take pride in our own concept being better than what FSF defines. The idea of immutable firmware is based on a flawed concept, it doesn't help for anything.

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-12-14 at 16:49.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
How about the software side? Has the porting work been done theoretically or, we'd need the hardware first?

The Following User Says Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!