Active Topics

Notices

Poll: Do you like iMaemo?
Poll Options
Do you like iMaemo?

Hello!

Just a notice that my pointless app launcher has been released! It has also been renamed iTablet, for legal reasons . You can get the app and read about it here:

http://geekpenguin.blogspot.com/2007...of-imaemo.html

Enjoy!

Last edited by Aisu; 2007-12-05 at 01:07.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aisu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Pretty cool... It good be the start of whole new front end.

Wouldn't it be nice if a button launched a home screen applet like the scrolling feed reader... and it just showed the (re-sizable) applet running on a black background. These applets could be closed with the escape key that returns users to your button screen...

Nice! Although i'd like an option to display landscape (after all the apps you launch are landscape mode). I am less interested in being exactly like iPhone (vertical) than enjoying its simple layout.

Keep working on this! Nice... its already customizable... via python files.

Wait your self generating code? Isn't that how SkyNet started out?

@YoDude: That is what I plan for in version 1.0 (which is a loooong way away), but, eventually, I should like to be able to do that. I may be able to accomplish something similiar just using small apps I write using Easy that access the built-in backends.

@pipeline: Yes, well, that was the only excessively simple way I could do it. And, besides, it will only ever create one file. (If all goes according to plan). But, having the Terminator come knock at my door would be pretty cool... And, as to the horizontal, I really thought about it, but decided to go vertical... But, all I did was rotate the image files, and if you REALLY want to make it horizontal, just rotate the ones in /usr/home/user/iPhone

Oh, and I've had to change the app's name to iTablet for legal reasons

I voted great, but really If the option was there, I would have said Decent.

I think some of the animosity towards this app is because of its resemblance to the iPhone. Perhaps a different name would be better? (myTablet?) I think the goal should not be to match the iPhone interface, but to improve upon it. Frankly, I think that should be a goal for all apps, although I recognize how hard it is.

Thinking about it, it would be nice to achieve a similar effect by:
  • allowing the maemo home screen ("desktop") to be fullsize-able. For me the maemo standard bars often do not make sense at "home" in the same way they do for an opened application
  • either improving the home screen applet handling by:
    • supporting grid supported layout
    • allowing to put icons for all installed apps directly on the desktop
  • or expanding on launcher applets already available, but in my opinion all stopping at 50% (or less) of the way.
Changing the background to black should be fairly easy. A set of polished icons can be chosen freely

In any case, it would be nice if the launcher could have a configuration per application to start it in full screen mode.

I probably won't try it, simply because there are no pics to show me what it does. I'm a simple person and would rather look at a screen capture and decide if I wanted to install it ... at the moment its just rambling text and won't keep me interested long enough ti install.

Originally Posted by rps View Post
Thinking about it, it would be nice to achieve a similar effect by:
[LIST][*]allowing the maemo home screen ("desktop") to be fullsize-able. For me the maemo standard bars often do not make sense at "home" in the same way they do for an opened application[*]either improving the home screen applet handling by:
  • supporting grid supported layout
  • allowing to put icons for all installed apps directly on the desktop
I completely agree. Is the code for home screen applet handling open source? If so, modifying that code might be the way to go. If that's not feasible, I think this could develop into a replacement, with hooks that allow applets to be easily converted to iTablet plug-ins.

Something I suggested in another thread is to allow applets to be window-less with transparent backgrounds, so you could for example have a digital clock just sitting on the tablet-top. If that is done, then launcher icons just become new applets with transparent backgrounds.

Changing the background to black should be fairly easy. A set of polished icons can be chosen freely
I asked this in another thread: Is a black background better for battery life than a white one? Does anyone know?

In any case, it would be nice if the launcher could have a configuration per application to start it in full screen mode.
I completely agree as well. Is this achievable from the command line?

I like it, would be better if it was in landscape mode & not so much like the iphone.

Great work.

Last edited by kvakvak; 2007-12-10 at 17:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to kvakvak For This Useful Post: