Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
I would like to run Treeline on my N810. Is this possible?

Treeline requires:
# Qt (Version 4.1 or higher)
# Python (Version 2.4, 2.5 or 2.6)
# PyQt (Version 4.0 or higher - see Riverbank for more information)
# An XML parser is required, such as the expat library or the PyXML package

Here is the reference page:
http://treeline.bellz.org/require.html

This other post seems to indicate it will work:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=23896

Being a newbie, I would appreciate anyone's comments on how to go about running Treeline before I just jump in and mess things up.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Since you're installing an app that has no native packages, it's not as easy as we'd all like it to be. The basic steps are listed here. After that, just extract Treeline somewhere and run (if it needs any more dependencies you're unsure of, report the error here and we'll see what else is required). If you want it to appear in the start menu, that'll require a bit more clicking (either putting it in the user menu or creating a .desktop file), but first get it to run, and then we'll talk about convenience

interesting question because i was wondering if one could easily get the wikipedia dump reader application to run on an n900:
http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...?content=65244

Not *easily* (as it bundles a couple of C modules -> you'll need scratchbox for that one), but doable if someone if sufficiently motivated.

Six months later, I was wondering the same thing, and spent half a day getting it to work. (Answer: It does work.) I'm running OS2008 version 5.2008.43-7 (the latest as of this writing) on an N800. Here's a sketch of what I did:

1) I followed the steps at http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...PyQt_for_Maemo to enable the maemo extras-devel repo, and installed Qt and PyQt. Actually, I think I was unable to find some of the packages in the application manager. Instead, I had to install the packages from the command line. (Start xterm, then root, then apt-get install <package name>. This assumes you have the "rootsh" package installed.)

2) I had very little else installed on my N800. By the time I was done installing Qt and PyQt, I did not have a lot of room to spare on my root filesystem. I saw advice in other threads that I needed to clone my root filesystem to SD media. I did not to this, and I am doing fine. (I still have 43MB remaining space.)

3) Another package I had to install from the command line: python2.5-runtime. I don't understand why these don't show up in application manager.

4) I downloaded the TreeLine 1.2.4 (current stable version) source code from http://treeline.bellz.org/download.html.

5) Again from the command line, cd to the directory where this was downloaded, and tar xzf the file. I wasted quite a bit of time finding the file. (The "Documents" folder in your file manager is actually the "/home/user/MyDocs/.documents" folder in the filesystem.)

6) This was the diciest part. From the command line, I "root"ed, then ran "python install.py", only to discover that the standard Python compileall module was not available. So I went to my trusty Ubuntu desktop computer that has python 2.5 installed, and snagged a copy of compileall.py and pycompile.py from /usr/lib/python2.5. (They end up in the same place on the N800.) To my surprise, this solved all of the installation problems! I ran "python install.py" again, and it installed successfully!

I admit I'm a little worried that these standard Python modules were not present. It makes me wonder if I have mis-configured something, since Python is generally a "batteries included" setup. However, the fact that I got TreeLine to run successfully gives me some confidence that I haven't gone too terribly wrong.

7) Manually invoke /usr/local/bin/treeline to confirm that the application runs. It runs fine, and really looks very good. I had no trouble creating new outline nodes and editing their text using hildon input.

8) Next I hacked together an entry in my application menu. The menu file is found at ~/.osso/menus/application.menu. In the xml file, I added an entry that referred to treeline.desktop file. Of course, there is no such file yet, so...

9) Then I copied /usr/share/applications/hildon/filemanager.desktop to /usr/share/applications/treeline.desktop. (As root.) I edited treeline.desktop to invoke /usr/local/bin/treeline. I edited the description fields, etc. to refer to treeline. I don't have an icon for treeline, so I just let it use the filemanager icon. I deleted the line starting "X-Osso-Service". (If I didn't delete this line, the launcher still launched file manager.)

Well, that was some pretty bad hacking. This probably isn't the correct/polished way to do things, but anyway, now I have a "TreeLine" entry in my application menu, and it launches TreeLine just fine, and TreeLine works great!

I doubt that the original poster of this thread is still around, but maybe the next person to hit this message via Internet search (like I did this morning) will benefit.

If anyone cares to point out the "correct" way to do any of the above, feel free. I would especially like to address the availability of the standard python modules.

The Following User Says Thank You to timcrews2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by timcrews2 View Post
3) Another package I had to install from the command line: python2.5-runtime. I don't understand why these don't show up in application manager.
Packages in the libraries section do not show up in the application manager...

I admit I'm a little worried that these standard Python modules were not present. It makes me wonder if I have mis-configured something, since Python is generally a "batteries included" setup. However, the fact that I got TreeLine to run successfully gives me some confidence that I haven't gone too terribly wrong.
Since we're a little cramped (free space problem) anything that is not needed is not installed. If you do a proper package, with dependencies, it will, of course, pull in all the necessary libs. This is not all that different from what desktop distros do, the difference is just what packages are installed by default. For up-to-date resources on PyMaemo, take a look at

http://pymaemo.garage.maemo.org

OK, thank you, I understand now why the manual installation of python2.5-runtime was required.

Was there a less hack-y way for me to get the compileall module? I'm pretty sure I had already installed python2.5-runtime and still didn't have compileall. Looking at /usr/lib/python2.5, it appears that there are plenty of other standard modules missing, too.

Follow up:

I've been working with TreeLine on the N800 for a day now. Although the main screen lays out just fine, there are several dialogs that are unusable because they simply contain more controls than can fit on the N800 screen, so the controls and texts are jumbled on top of each other.

Also, it is optimized for keyboard use -- it has dozens of keyboard shortcuts that otherwise require a whole lot of nested menu navigation.

So my preliminary assessment is that TreeLine and the N800 are not a very good fit. That's a shame, because I can see by using it on my Kubuntu desktop computer that it has just about exactly the functionality that I want.

I will have to decide if the functionality is so critical to me, that I will take the time to re-work it to make it more suitable for the N800.

(Also, it takes about ten seconds to start.)

The startup can be somewhat mitigated by either using python-launcher or using precompiled bytecode, but the UIs are always a challenge for a small screen.