Poll: How do you prefer to organise subforums?
Poll Options
How do you prefer to organise subforums?

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Reggie, what are your thoughts about the possibility to classify or tag the threads in sections that can belong to different devices? Do you thing that could be done in an easy way?

The Following User Says Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Reggie, what are your thoughts about the possibility to classify or tag the threads in sections that can belong to different devices? Do you thing that could be done in an easy way?
Another option are 'Thread Prefixes.' There is a feature to use/force a 'Thread Prefix' on the thread title. Basically, you have to specify a prefix (via a pre-defined drop-down list) when creating a new thread. If we decide to use this feature, I have to make some changes to certain forum modules (e.g. Active Topics) that doesn't support Thread Prefixes.

Thread prefixes can be set to be required or optional.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
If we had something like tags to classify the threads to their corresponding platforms, that shouldn't be necessary.

Right now, the Applications, Games, etc.. subforums don't belong exclusively to the N900. As you can see, some OP are now including in the title to which machine applies.
no, but they belong to maemo exclusively as maemo.org host only maemo application and that subforum is dedicated mainly for those applications, it isnt stated but is implied.

also i would like to suggest "auto-merge" of Duplicate threads..

since the duplication is never on-purpose, mostly due to bad connectivity

its merging and not deleting because i feel each user comment is special..
so 5 comment's in this tread,& 2 comment's on duplicate one.. needs to get merged (according to post timestamps) rather then deleting

auto-merging formula can be something like
same username + same title of thread + time(within 1 hr) == auto-merge

P.s. i don't know if this feature already exists in Talk.Maemo.Org . or its done manually..
since i have stuck some times due to duplicate submissions & ended-up writing "please delete this thread" and also "please goto to this thread"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to immi.shk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I also still want to see Community as the first section, and the sticky thread New members say hello moved into it from the ambiguous General.

I just strongly believe that Community comes before anything General, and member fellowship belongs as a part of it.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Another option are 'Thread Prefixes.' There is a feature to use/force a 'Thread Prefix' on the thread title. Basically, you have to specify a prefix (via a pre-defined drop-down list) when creating a new thread. If we decide to use this feature, I have to make some changes to certain forum modules (e.g. Active Topics) that doesn't support Thread Prefixes.

Thread prefixes can be set to be required or optional.
That seems to be a great solution for the Software subforum in sections Applications, Games, Multimedia, Themes and Design.

We would need the Council to approve it, though.

The Following User Says Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
why? I would think getting consensus about it and reggie to agree with it is enough.

edit: well they would need to agree to moderate the new things

Last edited by timoph; 2012-05-03 at 17:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
That seems to be a great solution for the Software subforum in sections Applications, Games, Multimedia, Themes and Design.

this would be ok only if we could filter out everything with certain prefixes(for instance i would filter out everything meego/harmattan/n9/50/tizen as i "cant" find what im looking for here anymore and that is maemo related stuf)
i still think this structure would be much better:
Software
I-Maemo
I I-Applications
I I-Games
I I-...
I-Mer
I I-...
I-...

and so on for every aspect of the forum, a nice logical tree structure

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I think that devices and os'es should be merged as only the N800 and N810 share the same OS. All other devices have their own os. I always find myself wondering where to start a new thread about e.g. a software issue on the N900. We could have OS2007/770, OS2008/N8x0, Maemo5/N900, Harmattan/N9-50, Mer/other, other/other

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
I don't think for example Mer needs that many subforums. I would make alternatives it's own section that includes it as a subsection something like

Alternatives
-> Mer / Nemo
-> nitdroid
-> ...
-> other

The Following User Says Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post: