Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Madison, WI
Has anyone actually installed their N810 into their vehicle?

I looked at the included kit and it appears that they want me to install four screws into my dash board. I don't doubt it will be secure but it seems a bit destructive I guess.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Firethorn View Post
Yes, and there have been several previous discussions on this topic. While using the included screws to attach the N810's automotive holder to your vehicle is an option, the expectation is that you'll likely purchase an appropriate mount from a company such as Pro.Fit, PanaVise, or ProClip. The holder Nokia provides is AMPS compatible, so it will work with offerings from any of these companies, among others. It will also work with most versions of that widely available, old automotive standby, the suction cup mount.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
I use Nokia's HH-12 window suction mount connected to the provided CR-89 holder. It's a perfect fit and the suction is really strong. That tablet ain't going anywhere!

I use a suction mount from one of my old Sirius radios that I never used. It works great. The n810 is kinda tricky to get in and out of the holder. I feel like I am going to scratch it up. Also the Wayfinder works great. I use a Nokia car charger for power and I am good to go.

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
Originally Posted by Firethorn View Post

I looked at the included kit and it appears that they want me to install four screws into my dash board. I don't doubt it will be secure but it seems a bit destructive I guess.
I've fitted it, with just the screws. Mine is an old car, so I was not too worried about screwing in to the dash. On my dash it is solid, and holds the N810 well. I'll send on a photo when I get a mo.

Rich

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
I've made my own vent mount by taking a largish paperclip and feeding it through the two holes at the top of the mount, folding it back on itself to be secure and then forming a loop with the two ends.

This is both: a) very easy to fit and remove (in seconds), b) very secure, c) free.

If anyone needs a photo, or a diagram, let me know.

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ South Bend, Indiana
just fyi- the holes in the provided adapter that comes with this mount:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ....do?oid=134814 ($21)

lines up with the holes on the Nokia mount as well, and you may be able to pick it up locally in the USA. I installed it in my car and it works pretty well. Some reviewers claim that it isn't the most durable mount, but I don't plan on detaching/re-attaching it very much (if at all ) so I think it will be fine.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London Ontario Canada
My Volvo has a slot in the dash below the radio just big enough for business cards, or a pack of playing cards. I plan to cut a piece of wood that size, attach a piece to the end of it, big enough to attach the 4 screws.
Spray paint it black and voila...

Now all I need is wood, a saw, paint and time ;-)

... they should have shipped it with a suction cup in the first place.

Yep. I'm having a custom mount made for my 810, the 800 is mounted on my bike via magnets.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Madison, WI
Given how many folks seem to have an in car solution, and the fact tha tmy car is about eight years old, I think I'm going to make the jump and try the included dash mounting kit. I think the GPS functionality of the N810 is going to make it worth while.