Originally Posted by nilchak View Post

Now I am thinking I will get a A2DP suported BT adapter which plugs into the headphone jack on the N810 and use a BT headphone as before (I am now considering a Lubix NC1 headphone instead.).
My $30 Homer-brand BT adapter works fine with both of my Motorola stereo headphones. I can recommend it.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
My $30 Homer-brand BT adapter works fine with both of my Motorola stereo headphones. I can recommend it.
Does it control volume and track seek control also?

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Does it control volume and track seek control also?
I apologize for not having given more detail. First, I'd like state the obvious -- my Motorola headphones are of course Bluetooth (with the a2dp capacity).

Regarding how the adapter (dongle) works. It merely plugs into the headphone jack and reproduces whatever comes out of the jack. All your controlling of what you hear is handled by the N800 (or N810 or N770). no matter which of the various media players you're using. Hope this tells you what you need to know at this point. Regards, jim

The Following User Says Thank You to ascherjim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 30 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ The Hague, The Netherlands
There are bluetooth headsets out there with built in remote controls for e.g. play/pause. Will that functionality automatically work if the music plays correctly through the headset, following the instructions posted here, or is that a whole different area of discussion/expertise?

I know that there are other threads discussing bluetooth remote controls, but I thought this one was the right one to ask it in since my purpose would be to use the N800 as mediaplayer while on my bike with my bleutooth headset and to be able to pause the music when I want without having to take the N800 out of my inside pocket during heavy wind and rain (yes, I live in the Netherlands).

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

SIGNIFICANT EDIT: My Motorola Bluetooth headphones are the models S805 (studio monitor type) and the S9 (the "active" headphone type, which you can using jogging, riding a bike, etc.). With their built-in headset controls both models can change volume with my Nokia N800, but will not apparently pause or advance to the next (or previous) tracks, as they will if I use the dongle with other dedicated mp3 players. (These models will also work with phone calls if you have a compatible phone, as they have built-in microphones.) So, you apparently do not get the full Motorola functionality when paired with the N800, but I haven't really experimented much further with the in-built controls.

Last edited by ascherjim; 2008-04-04 at 13:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to ascherjim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 228 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Ontario & Iceland
I made the mistake of buying the S9 thinking I could use it for stereo and phone duties. Besides the A2DP issues the headphone even in basic phone mode is less than ideal, almost useless in fact. The volume buttons work but not the answer button or any multimedia buttons. The sound quality sucks considering what it should be capable of. Before giving up completely on bluetooth I tried a basic BT earpiece and it works fine. answer button and vol controls work and the sound is decent. Just no good for music but as a phone device it works fine. I hope that the BT functions get ironed out but as a technology I'm less than impressed with BT overall. Make sure the device does what it should before committing the bucks. Once again, standards seem to have no place in the minds of corporate.

Originally Posted by IcelandDreams View Post
I made the mistake of buying the S9 thinking I could use it for stereo and phone duties. Besides the A2DP issues the headphone even in basic phone mode is less than ideal, almost useless in fact. The volume buttons work but not the answer button or any multimedia buttons. The sound quality sucks considering what it should be capable of. Before giving up completely on bluetooth I tried a basic BT earpiece and it works fine. answer button and vol controls work and the sound is decent. Just no good for music but as a phone device it works fine. I hope that the BT functions get ironed out but as a technology I'm less than impressed with BT overall. Make sure the device does what it should before committing the bucks. Once again, standards seem to have no place in the minds of corporate.
My Motorola model S805 (studio monitor type) gives much better music sound quality (as it should) and even has a separate mini-plug cable for direct hook-up to the music source for use as standard wired headphones. However, I have found that my S9 does provide acceptable music quality for my needs when walking around. Recognizing that, I rip my music from CD's in ogg or 128-bps mp3 to save memory space for use with it, rather than in flac or 320-bps for use with the S805's.

does anyone have idea if nokia is going to implement the A2DP for the bluetooth stack? seems like we've been waiting too long for a feature that was promised. because of this, my N810 is sitting unused at home as i do not like fiddling with the tablet when i am driving. need the A2DP to control the music player.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Well, on the positive side Nokia actually did a lot of the work in terms of making A2DP work on *Desktop Linux*. They've definitely put effort into this. I really hope we'll see them finish this off at some point, but it would be nice to hear from them either way. If they're not going to do it, other people will step forward to work on it, but if they are working on it, there's no reason to duplicate the effort, only to have the work become useless.

Posts: 228 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Ontario & Iceland
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
My Motorola model S805 (studio monitor type) gives much better music sound quality (as it should) and even has a separate mini-plug cable for direct hook-up to the music source for use as standard wired headphones. However, I have found that my S9 does provide acceptable music quality for my needs when walking around. Recognizing that, I rip my music from CD's in ogg or 128-bps mp3 to save memory space for use with it, rather than in flac or 320-bps for use with the S805's.
I can believe that studio headphones would sound better, I was only expecting the S9 to sound as good as a $15 wired headphone. It doesn't. And the buttons don't work except for volume.

As for a BT dongle plugged into the audio jack, that is reasonable except again, the call/etc buttons don't work. If I have to pull the IT out of the pocket and find the answer call button and to speak into the mic then having BT serves little purpose except for music.

The best compromise I've found was to pry apart the supplied mic/switch pendent and solder in a wired headphone. Then it sounds good, buttons work, mic works, and the wires are a little less messy.