Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
Possibly not an N810 specific problem but maybe somebody can help me.
I am running Garnet VM on the N810 and Hotsync Manager under Windows XP in a VMware session running under Kubuntu on my laptop.
The IP addresses:
my laptop linux: 192.168.0.187
N810: 192.168.0.186
VMware session with hotsync: 192.168.122.254 as Bridged

Pinging from my laptop host to VMware works, from VMware to both host and N810 works as well, from N810 to host works as well but NOT from N810 to VMware session.
I tried giving the VMware XP a fixed IP address in the 192.168.0.x range but worsened the situation: the VMware session could not connect to the network anymore aklso when I set the network of it to NAT.

Can somebody help me ?

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
I tried to help someone else the other day on getting Garnet VM to Hotsync from a laptop computer.

It ended up being a total nightmare for the both of us.

The set up I have at home is having an ethernet cable from my home computer in Windows XP connected to my wireless router and then using a fixed IP address like you mentioned. I've never once had a problem this way.

If your laptop is completely wireless, maybe try using an ethernet cable instead.

Also, you might want to double check to see if you have any firewalls active anywhere. Last idea would be to uninstall Garnet VM and reinstall again, I've heard that helps sometimes.

If you catch the solution, could you please post back?

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
I tried it on another laptop (on my work) in which the situation is:
Linux laptop host : 192.168.1.176 (fixed)
VMware session with WinXP and Hotsync : 192.168.1.199 (fixed, network bridged)
Nokia N810 : 192.168.1.229 (fixed)
This did work partially: the hotsync prompted for a user and I filled in 'Administrator' and clicked OK which resulted in starting a sync and ended shortly with 'sync failed'.
Obviously, here the reason is that the N810 can reach the VMware session now as it is in the 192.168.1.x subnet.

Well, it sounds like you know more about what you are doing than the two of us combined.

Again, post back if you end up finding a solution for this.

Cheers!

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Claremont (LA), California
It's been a while, but did you set up NAT inside vmware? It turns out you can't use iptables-based NAT on vmware; you have to change /etc/vmware/vmnet8/nat/nat.conf.

In the [incomingtcp] section, you should have a line like this:

14238=192.168.3.3:14238

where 192.168.3.3 is the VMware IP address of your WinXP VM. Then restart vmware.

When I did this, I got a (as in "one") successful hotsync over TCP. Then, for reasons I completely don't understand, Garnet decided to start using UDP instead. I added a similar NAT line for UDP and port 14237, but all I get is a three packets in each direction and then it quits on me. I'm still working on that.

If anybody knows how to get Garnet to only use TCP, I'd be most appreciative...

I tried this some months ago and ran into the same behavior -- three packets and done. I beat my head against the wall but couldn't get it to work.

One of the things I tried was to use a USB wireless NIC connected directly to the VM but still no joy.

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Claremont (LA), California
I've given up. I think it's a bug in Garnet. Unfortunately, they're acting like a dying company--they don't respond to my emails.

I'm done unless I come up with something I haven't tried yet. I have a new laptop with Vmware running on Lin, so I may try syncing to my laptop. The annoying thing is that syncing with Win on Vmware seems to *almost* work.

Part of the prob is that Garnet Hotsync directly with Windows is spotty at best.

Instead of using Hotsync for backups, I've created a virtual external memory card, and I use Resco Backup to do regular backups. However, this doesn't solve the problem of synchronizing apps.

As for not responding to emails, Access seems a bit weird. I've never heard of them providing useful responses, and their communication is thin. On the other hand, they keep coming out with new releases. But on the other, other hand, I wish they would eliminate the expiration on their releases so I wouldn't have to update.

If you guys are only syncing to install apps, I can do that here and send you the gvm.store file.

If you're only wanting to sync your personal private data, accounts, bank records and contacts, I can manage all of your information here at home as well.

How can you lose?

I install apps by copying the prc file(s) to the virtual external card and then running the prc. This works pretty well for me. Resco Explorer connects wirelessly to Samba shares, which makes it very easy to copy install files from my PC to Garnet and then run them.