Notices

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Scotland
Hi, I was searching through the application catalogues earlier, including extras tesing and extras devel. As I was doing so I realised there are actually a lot of third party applications. Many of them have a minimal description or just a description that I don't understand! Probably because I'm not down with Linux and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

This is the reason I started this thread. I thought it would be useful if users could let other users know of their favourite or most useful applications. I am not talking about things like fMMS as most Maemo users have probably come across this (although we must appreciate it as a great app!) I am talking about the less well known applications. I just feel I could be missing out on something great that has been right under my nose the whole time!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to al678 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 48 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ wolver
Yeah that does seem a decent idea i mean i too am also new to linxus and any help is welcomed. some of the apps are shy in description. so come on you more experience users show us the way.

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Well it is a bit problematic to tell if the app you're using isn't "popular". I mean how do you measure something like that.

I still play an insane amount of Tetris on my device, does that count?

Originally Posted by cjp View Post
Well it is a bit problematic to tell if the app you're using isn't "popular". I mean how do you measure something like that.

I still play an insane amount of Tetris on my device, does that count?
Well just anything that someone like me may miss! haha. To be honest it doesn't matter if you do put a "popular" app. As said above - any help will do.

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
I installed way too many apps. Tell me what you want and I will tell you if I know an app.

Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
I installed way too many apps. Tell me what you want and I will tell you if I know an app.
I don't want a specific application and I'm sure not all of the apps you installed were useful!

Which apps have you installed that you feel have really changed the way you use your device or made it easier? Or which ones do you just really enjoy and couldn't live without?

I am starting to see why this is so problematic

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ wolver
I think the way forward with this is if a experinced user find a decent app that they find usefull is to post like a mini review for us noobs just detailing what its for. i know us noobs ask alot lol however we all start somewhere.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marcsony For This Useful Post:
Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
These forums are a little hard to search through, but if you read through some older threads in the Applications category, you will find some good info. Just click on "Applications" in the breadcrumb trail above and you will see a list of threads.

Also, check out this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=48217

GLTron and Angry Birds for games. The only two good ones really.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The following threads have been merged into this thread:
  • "What are the 5 most important apps you've installed on your N900?" with sixty-four posts
  • "Must have apps and others" with ten posts
  • "Useful applications" with eight posts

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:

Tags
applications, best apps, fremantle, list, maemo, maemo 5, most useful, recommended, superlative, top, top apps