Posts: 113 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Germany
This was basically what I have done, when Jolla themself hadn't provided the recovery. Own kernel with network. This works as long as you have your bootloader unlocked.

If you tamper with your device and have it still locked, you are well, you know ...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djselbeck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by djselbeck View Post
If you tamper with your device and have it still locked, you are well, you know ...
That's why I was trying to figure out if flashing using fastboot has any benefit over booting via fasboot..

But fastboot flashing is also closed when the bootloader is locked, so it has no benefit at all.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
That's why I was trying to figure out if flashing using fastboot has any benefit over booting via fasboot..

But fastboot flashing is also closed when the bootloader is locked, so it has no benefit at all.
Well, there are enough users to what I have seen, having difficulties using recovery.
Providing a flashable image that can be restored with fastboot simplifies this.
Not different than what is done on all Android devices which also uses fastboot protocol.
Yes, recovery is fine and can do the same with dd.
However, using dd greatly increase the risk of erasing the wrong partition (for example bootloader)

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Germany
But android just needs to flash the system/boot partitions which are small compared to sailfishs structure. So I think this is the biggest problem. I don't know if there is a way around other than small recovery image with USB support.

What probably should work is to create an image file without the whole free space at the end. I don't know if that was your plan?

Last edited by djselbeck; 2014-08-28 at 20:18.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djselbeck For This Useful Post:
http://www.jollausers.com/2014/10/fi...recover-jolla/

looks like it might help recover.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to salyavin For This Useful Post:
hi!
I have created dd image from my mmcblk0p28 partition, recovered from it, but have been striken with btrfs problems (i guess) and frequent app crashes which were basically limiting my multitasking to just two simultaneosly opened apps.

Now i have a new install and i would like to transfer files from the home directory of the dd image to a phone, but there are no /home/nemo directory in dd image when mounted.

How to properly mount this dd image to access personal files from /home/nemo directory? Please help!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to veeall For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by veeall View Post
hi!
I have created dd image from my mmcblk0p28 partition, recovered from it, but have been striken with btrfs problems (i guess) and frequent app crashes which were basically limiting my multitasking to just two simultaneosly opened apps.

Now i have a new install and i would like to transfer files from the home directory of the dd image to a phone, but there are no /home/nemo directory in dd image when mounted.

How to properly mount this dd image to access personal files from /home/nemo directory? Please help!
Copy the dd image (lets name it backup.img in the example) to a linux maschine, mount the dd image and then kust copy the files from the mounted location (backup in example)

Code:
mkdir /backup
mount -o loop backup.img /backup
You should now find all the files from sailfish partition in /backup folder. Including home/nemo and you can just copy from there.

You should also be able to mount the image on-device, allthough more safe to work with a copy, on the linux box.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
from latest posting on blog.jolla.com:
Code:
We already know that it is possible for us to build a signed Linux boot loader that will load unsigned boot images and we’ve tested this already. But a boot loader that loads unsigned boot images can have other consequences in terms of security.

Here are the technical basics:

It should be possible to enable or disable entering UEFI settings/UEFI shell at boot-up through a key combo – in there you can supposedly set up your own UEFI PK/db/dbx etc. keys
    It is possible to reboot into UEFI settings from Sailfish OS
    efilinux is used and has to be signed by something in UEFI PK/db/dbx and it can check signatures of the Linux kernel+initrd (boot images)
    We don’t currently use UEFI shim loader so no MOK functionality
    Kernel uses/can use CONFIG_MODULE_SIG kernel option
    There’s no ‘fastboot oem unlock’ functionality currently, but flashed images need to be appropriately signed towards SecureBoot configured keys in order to boot, but efilinux can be modified

This is an invitation to discuss how we should make a device security configuration that has appropriate balance between hackability and privacy/security. Nothing is set in stone but there might be hardware or technology imposed limitations
edit: just noticed I didn't copy the part that invitation is mostly to irc, then again pretty sure author is aware of this thread

Last edited by szopin; 2014-12-17 at 19:14.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Hi there. Help revive the phone. The following is the situation: there is no picture on my phone, no logo, no nothing. each responds to all buttons, you can switch to the telnet connection can react, the screen is lit but no picture. So I thought back to the cart system. SHELL menu should think of something to do.Write it off, step by step installation process? What programs should I take it? Thanks.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204709607

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: