Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
ust get an iphone. It works
As much as I want to rebutt you, I have to agree iPhone does work well cos idiots like me don't have to worry or learn how to use it.

But no thanks.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
I've got an iPhone4 and it doesn't work any better than the N9.
Paired that with a smaller screen and it sure isn't any better either.
Hence why I just ordered a Galaxy Note. Nothing comes close.

The Following User Says Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by snowparang View Post
The N8 is a phone released in Oct 2010. It has a 680 Mhz CPU. It runs on the 'legacy' Symbian OS. As of right now, the telcos in my country has stopped selling it.

1 year later, the N9 is released. It has a 1 Ghz CPU (similiar or even faster than iPhone 4 as I recall). It carries the tagline 'fluidity'. I think as a consumer, it would not be unreasonable to assume that the N9 have the same if not better media capabilities than the N8.
This is tha shiznit.

I would like to put a blackboard in front of every Nokia employee and force them to write this 1000 times. Apple understands this simple point and ensures that iPhone 4 > iPhone 3GS > iPhone 3G, whereas Nokia prefer to pigeonhole their customers as 'business guy', 'camera guy', or 'music guy', and gimp each device depending on which particular customer they are targeting. KISS.

My website

GitHub

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 152 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Shanghai, China
N8 also has better camera.

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Apple understands this simple point and ensures that iPhone 4 > iPhone 3GS > iPhone 3G, whereas Nokia prefer to pigeonhole their customers as 'business guy', 'camera guy', or 'music guy', and gimp each device depending on which particular customer they are targeting. KISS.
So, I really wonder what Nokia thinks 'Business guy' does when he is not working. Or how 'video guy' or 'camera guy' can afford to buy a premium-price phone without having a job that requires him to read email.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buchanmilne For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
In what world is 854x480 considered low res on mobile phones? The current standard is 800x480 and N9 is higher than that. Get a clue. 720p on a phone is a serious battery eater. If you wanna watch HD movies on a phone, you better have a secondary phone that actually serves as a "phone" and will be capable of answering calls.

The talk you comment on was about random low res video's performance.
Low res as opposed to HD in the thread's title.

Not about the N9's screen being low resolution. It is not.

It has a too low PPI count to please some eyes, but that is a different story and surely not relevant in video's.

The resolution of the N9's display is fine for video's displayed on that surface size.

If only the hardware could keep up in playing anything non-HD you throw at that would be great.

And if it would be capable of real time down-sampling 720 and 1080p content that would be even greater.

But that is not the case.

Just get a brain. It thinks!

The Following User Says Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post

The talk you comment on was about random low res video's performance.
Low res as opposed to HD in the thread's title.

Not about the N9's screen being low resolution. It is not.

It has a too low PPI count to please some eyes, but that is a different story and surely not relevant in video's.

The resolution of the N9's display is fine for video's displayed on that surface size.

If only the hardware could keep up in playing anything non-HD you throw at that would be great.

And if it would be capable of real time down-sampling 720 and 1080p content that would be even greater.

But that is not the case.
My N900 plays anything non-HD that I've thrown at it. How's the N9 any different? Doesn't it have the same codecs as the N900? Btw, ppi on the N9 is much higher compared to the well praised SA+ on the GS2. It's really sharp, not N900 sharp, but it's close.

The Following User Says Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
My N900 plays anything non-HD that I've thrown at it. How's the N9 any different? Doesn't it have the same codecs as the N900? Btw, ppi on the N9 is much higher compared to the well praised SA+ on the GS2. It's really sharp, not N900 sharp, but it's close.
I've had trouble with some FLV files (resolution lower than native display resolution) on both the N900 and the N950. I was genuinely surprised to find that the N9(50) would not play these. I expected an improvement over the capabilities of the N900. Epic fail.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I've had trouble with some FLV files (resolution lower than native display resolution) on both the N900 and the N950. I was genuinely surprised to find that the N9(50) would not play these.
Yeah, Flash is a pain, and is only going to get worse, since Adobe itself seems to be pulling away from the mobile market. (And, of course, the iPhone famously doesn't support Flash either.)

Again, the solution here seems to be converting Flash Video to something compatible before loading it on the phone. Hey, if millions of Apple customers do it, it can't be that bad, right?

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post: