autoremove keeps on wanting to get rid of python-pygame since it is not a dependency, however it is needed for me to run python game scrips. How do I pin this so I can still update it and at the same time not have autoremove try to remove it?

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Did you try
Code:
apt-get install python-pygame
so that it sets python-pygame as manually installed?

That's how I installed it, however it is not a dependency, hence apt-get autoremove tries to remove it. (I think that's how it is working)

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
There seems to be some version mismatch between libs, so that python-pygame is considered to be removed. This might happen with testing and/or devel repos enabled.
Still you can set the package on hold with
Code:
echo python-pygame hold|dpkg --set-selections
There is one big drawback with this method: The package will not get updated anymore, you have to do it yourself!

EDIT: I simply would not use autoremove anymore Itis anoption to cause more breakage than good in my opinion.

Last edited by michaaa62; 2011-03-01 at 20:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
There seems to be some version mismatch between libs, so that python-pygame is considered to be removed. This might happen with testing and/or devel repos enabled.
Still you can set the package on hold with
Code:
echo python-pygame hold|dpkg --set-selections
There is one big drawback with this method: The package will not get updated anymore, you have to do it yourself!

EDIT: I simply would not use autoremove anymore Itis anoption to cause more breakage than good in my opinion.
I could just pin it if I wanted to do it that way, there must be a more efficient way.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
I could just pin it if I wanted to do it that way, there must be a more efficient way.
Have a look at /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01autoremove - that lists a couple of packages that aren't to be autoremoved. Either adding another entry to that list or creating a similar file under /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ would hopefully do the trick.

I had a problem similar to this on a debian LXDE install - to keep autoremove from asking to remove already-installed packages I wanted to keep, I just ran apt-get install (package) and that package would disappear from the autoremove list.

The Following User Says Thank You to GameboyRMH For This Useful Post: