Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I was just successful in running Wordpress from maemo-extras on the N950 using a chroot Maemo 5 PR1.3 rootfs image. As I am not allowed to post the image here I will post instructions shortly, but for now you have a teaser video.

DISCLAIMER: I don't know what works, maybe the first app that came to my mind (WordPress) luckily worked and nothing else does. Also the virtual keyboard doesn't work so for the N9 you'll need a bluetooth keyboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIlD7NsO1QI&feature=plcp

More applications do work partially (e.g. gnumeric) but I have to run hildon desktop first. Anyone got any idea how to run hildon-desktop in xephyr? I checked how it is being done in scratchbox but there are a lot of sb-only functions in that script file.

EDIT: Tutorial on post #14

Status
Due to the chroot using the Harmattan dbus, and the fact that Maemo relies heavily on dbus to work I think it's futile to try to make hildon-desktop work from within the chroot. Another fact is that after trying to initialize hildon-desktop through scratchbox's init script, weird things happen to the N950 like loss of vibration, and weird lighting patterns on the hwkb. Thus I stopped work on the chroot and shifted to making hildon-desktop work natively in harmattan. This would allow us to run a native h-d in Xephyr and run applications from within the chroot on the h-d outside. In the future, we could possibly create an inverse MeeCoLay, without need for a chroot and thus without need for open mode. Another possible experiment would be to change the default window manager of harmattan from mcompositor to hildon-desktop.

Now I have trouble compiling clutter, see post #61

Post history:

EDIT2: Current status is described at post #17. Please read and comment if you know something about the blocker issue at post #19

Help needed

by using a modified af-sb-init.sh script from scratchbox I have managed to get hildon desktop to flash on screen before it dies with
Code:
ERROR:PipDate.c:569:pip_date_to_string_format: assertion failed: (pip_date_is_valid((date))
Attempt to remove filter function 0xcca8 user data (nil), but no such filter has been added
This happens, either directly, or in xephyr. Please share your knowledge if you happen to understand what is happening.

It would be even better if we didn't have to start the whole hildon desktop but only the notification/menu bar. The actual problem is that apps now run without a menu

Thanks to matan, this problem is now solved, and matchbox-window-manager starts successfully (I can see desktop widgets, and applications with the menu bar).
We still cannot start hildon-desktop however, and I suppose that the problem lies with dbus (probably session) bus. The question is this Does the chroot use the parent OS dbus or does it start it's own? Please note that hildon desktop does not throw any errors, it just displays a black screen. Screenshots will be posted soon @post #55.

Another, unrelated, question is how to get rid of the bottom toolbar in harmattan windows.

List of relevant threads, wikis etc for reference

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Last edited by qwazix; 2012-06-26 at 23:04.

The Following 46 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Sorry for stupid comment, but this is first thing that came to my mind
It's great idea to try to run that You inspired me to try running Diablo inside Fremantle (just for fun )

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
ROTFL!

10chars

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Ohhhh, this is awesome work.

I know it's not going to happen but one can dream of running MicroB on the n9.

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Ohhhh, this is awesome work.

I know it's not going to happen but one can dream of running MicroB on the n9.
Tell me this is gonna happen, I'm begging you. By the way, there are so many other third-party Maemo apps that would be awsome on the N9.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
@qwazix
nice job i like it even i dont have N9
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hong Kong
For virtual keyboard, there is xmind by javispedro

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to michaelmhk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 640 | Thanked: 435 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ rajvoSa BA
no, this is something i really LIKE
when we can get full tut? haaa? and where to get rootfs?
damn, this's great

@ qwazix Give us the tutorials cant wait to get into the awesomeness :-D

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
There are so many N900 programs I would like to run on the N9...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post: