Poll: SolarTOH, you want?
Poll Options
SolarTOH, you want?

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
It would make sense to me for it to have it's own battery so that you can leave it somewhere with sun (while you use the phone) and pop it on when you run out of juice.
That is my N900 summer travel setup (or if I travel in warm climates). I have to say I understand the pessimism, solar battery charging has it's drawbacks, especially since from my experience they tend to mess up the battery quite quickly. Also, I hope the Jolla has good charging software/communication... My first setup was a solar charger directly connected to the beast, but it usually just worsened the charge (software?) and confused the phone.
I still fully support the idea (and tech keeps improving). Remember, most of the population of the world live in warm/tropical climates, where this is useful all year long.
Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Would it be possible to add a solar OTH that also has E-link?

http://www.meetearl.com/

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post

Hmm.. sure.. but where do you want to put the panel? The earl has it on it's back...

(Semi-)Transparent panels to exist, but are expensive and efficiency is very low.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland

I guess (as it does not show on the pictures) that the solar cell is on the backside of the Earl device, so where'd you put it on the OH if you are going to have large-as-possible E-Ink display on it?

---- edit ----
damn, @Oblomow beat me to it by seconds

Last edited by juiceme; 2013-12-04 at 19:52. Reason: lost da battle

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I was more thinking It would be in the same screen. Or connect a solar case that could cover the main screen to the phone that you could open and close and charge it via nfc?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I was more thinking It would be in the same screen. Or connect a solar case that could cover the main screen to the phone that you could open and close and charge it via nfc?
ROFL 10char

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Fine, I will add keyboard, NFC, e-ink, solar panel and 5000 mah battery. Does anyone has a large bucket of glue for me?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
Fine, I will add keyboard, NFC, e-ink, solar panel and 5000 mah battery. Does anyone has a large bucket of glue for me?
In fact it should be possibly in the same screen panel. The biggest issue would be the cost. But at least we don't have to pay for glue...

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland

solar cell and voltage-regulator are in!

this is a step-up-step-down regulator. quite efficient and very small!

When I find my solder iron I will hook it up to my N9 and see what happens in terms of milliamps!

Last edited by dirkvl; 2013-12-13 at 11:31.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
cool , good luck.