Now that I have the scratchbox working, I was wondering if anyone could point me to some specific sample code that would do the following:

1. Go to full screen
2. Display a bitmap (ARGB or RGBA format)
3. Receive mouse (or rather, stylus) events
4. Quit on hardware back button press (ESC)

Something like a really barebones paint app that works at a bitmap level, rather than using GTK drawing calls.

Anything like that exist?

I've got that sample app that comes with the Maemo VMWare Appliance, that opens a window with a full screen button.

It can't be that much harder. I'm familiar with GUI programming, I just don't know anything about GTK's API.

Shove in the right direction anyone?

I'm new to maemo but maybe this link helps: API Reference

It does help, actually!

So, I need to wrap my raw bitmap with a GdkPixbuf it seems. I think I can handle that.

Still not sure how to get it from there onto the screen though.

Have you looked at SDL?

I forgot about SDL. Is there a very basic SDL example somewhere that compiles on the scratchbox?

I found some simple SDL examples that compile for Maemo here:

https://garage.maemo.org/projects/n770demos/

For future reference (mine, or whoever), this is how I built the n770-fire demo under the scratchbox:

gcc -o n770-fire n770-fire.c `pkg-config --cflags gtk+-2.0 hildon-libs` `sdl-config --cflags` -ansi -Wall `pkg-config --libs gtk+-2.0 hildon-libs` `sdl-config --libs`

After using sb-menu to switch to the ARM environment, compiling, I was able to transfer and run the executable from Xterm on the N800!

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Do do you need to add any additional libraries to the nokia for this?

The Following User Says Thank You to tabletrat For This Useful Post:
SDL was already installed on my N800. Whether that's by default or if it's a dependency for something else I installed, I'm not sure.

Although libSDL was preinstalled in the Maemo VMWare Appliance, so I'm inclined to think it's all included...?

Thanks to maba for the SDL suggestion. Since it's cross-platform, I can do most of my development in my native Mac OS X environment, and then just fire up the Maemo VMWare appliance if I want to actually cross-compile something to try on the device.

All I've done so far is an incredibly basic full-screen "paint white blobs with the stylus" program, but it's really cool to see it run on both my Mac and the tablet.