Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
weren't we told that high specs are less important than hw properly designed when we talked about low specs and high price in one of the threads before it was released? (sim, no proper partitions for flash(so it doesn't have to include blobs) and now battery?)

:/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
weren't we told that high specs are less important than hw properly designed when we talked about low specs and high price in one of the threads before it was released? (sim, no proper partitions for flash(so it doesn't have to include blobs) and now battery?)
:/
Well, I'm with you there that using Qualcomm HW is always a bad design choice since they are downright evil on their view of open design and should be boycotted really if there was any justice in the world

However, the general build of the device is very good on what I have found, and I have had no issues whatever related to the SIM card, battery or other mechanical aspects of it.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Regarding the apparent SIM issue, and having reported that I could reproduce putting pressure on TOH, where the SIM is, to disconnect it, and to demonstrate other use cases: I've just jumped about 40 times with the phone in my jean's front pocket and no disconnection happened. Don't ask why I jumped, maybe it was only to make this point, maybe not ;-)

TL;DR: my SIM disconnection problem may not be _that_ serious, or at least device/SIM dependent.

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 198 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Helsinki, Finland
My phone speaker stopped working completely after receiving 2 messages in the same time in mitäkuuluu. I'm not sure does it have anything to do with the custom ringtone in /usr/share/sounds/jolla-ringtones/stereo.

Now I can't get it working again, already rebooted many times. Sounds work in general though.

Not sure should I create another thread or does anybody have good hints for the problem?

Last edited by late88; 2014-01-07 at 17:20.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
as i understand SIM problems are random, but again not everyone had problems with pixel syndrome on n950 or broken usb on n900. I'm really scared there as i lost my n900 that way

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Marlborough, Wiltshire, UK
It would be really useful to know if the micro USB socket is mounted with through hole soldered lugs to give it mechanical strength or is it just relying on surface mount soldering to keep it in place.

This was a weakness with the N900 and would necessitate ultra gentle plug/unplugging to minimise any opportunity for damage.

Richard

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to richardski For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Is the function of the two hidden pins known?

The Following User Says Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
Is the function of the two hidden pins known?
Little hint:

Take a look at the back side of the frame that was covering the PCB and the pins

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by kjokinie View Post
Little hint:

Take a look at the back side of the frame that was covering the PCB and the pins
There seem to be some microchips under the shield. Only diagnostics?

Last edited by dirkvl; 2014-01-22 at 16:35.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Angers, France
I have read that the main chipset is qualcomm MSM8930aa.
Is there a datasheet somewhere ?