Poll: Should Aleksandyr start working on print support?
Poll Options
Should Aleksandyr start working on print support?

Originally Posted by klohmann View Post
Aleksandyr:

Since you asked (and I really do appreciate your efforts on this - a real word processor on the 770 is critical for me), my list (in order of importance to me):

1. Ability to read and write .doc files (unfortunately, the world runs on them)
2. Outline support with the thumboard
3. Spell Checking
4. Printing (and since you didn't really ask, can I print in gnumeric too. . .(!))
4. Pretty it up (e.g. launch from menu, etc.)

That's about it -- and seriously, thanks for your work on this!!! K.
2. Outline support with the thumbboard? As in, being able to increment/decrement outlines with the thumbboard? AFAIK impossible without rewriting the thumbboard.
3. Spell checking doesn't work for you? Erm, maybe I suck more at packaging than I thought.
4. Gnumeric's not my project, but who knows
[sic] 4. Prettying it up will happen. It's just a matter of re-using things provided by the "Maemo Word Processor" release (based on an older version of AbiWord).

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
OK, since we're apparently on the "features I want in Abiword" thread:

1. I don't personally care about Word compatibility (that's that Microsoft word processor, right?). I'd much more prefer .RTF or even .ODT filters, but as long as it produces general .ABW and .TXT files I'm good.

2. For the rest... Hey, whatever! If I can type text with it, you won't hear me complain. Word count is nice, outliner would be welcome and antimatter hyperdrive is allways appreciated of course, but none of those (well, maybe with the exception of the last one) is really a showstopper for me.

Posts: 128 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Philadelphia, PA
Sorry about my previous post everyone, my knowledge of prining in the *nix world is obviously very limited. But from what you say it is a matter of getting CUPS ported, and then putting a meu opton within the app, right?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by jayholler View Post
Sorry about my previous post everyone, my knowledge of prining in the *nix world is obviously very limited. But from what you say it is a matter of getting CUPS ported, and then putting a meu opton within the app, right?
It doesn't even have to be a menu option; the possibility to save a file as a PostScript file is enough to make it printable in Linux.

(OK, I tell a lie: even a .TXT option is enough, but that's not really considered "printing" by our postmodern standards )

I define rudimentary print support to mean a potentially arduous configuration process followed by the existence of a Print menu option that just works

Aleksandyr:

Thanks for giving the opportunity for input. And please don't get me wrong -- I'm very glad to have abiword in any condition. To answer your responses:

2. The thubmboard gets very confused when you attempt to enter text in an outline. It sometimes crashes the app. The bt keyboard works fine, however.

3. Spell checking is greyed out in my menu. Didn't exist in the old version either.

4. As I said, I'll take whatever I can get.

5. Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks again for your work. K.

Aleksandyr:

Printing and document creation / editing is definitely important to me. Personally I use a Pentax PocketJet on the road for invoice printing, and if we can get print ability I will pursue them to release drivers. They are good at supporting multiple platforms.

Thank you for all your work!
Scott
N800

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
Aleksander,
CUPS and Abiword? THANK YOU!!!!!!!
You have just multiplied the value of my 770. I will be very happy with that. (My dirty secret: I tell everyone that I use the 770 as my primary machine; that I don't need a separte PC. But they don't know that I can't print.)

NOKIA!!!!!!!! Give this man an N800!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce

They did, in fact, "give" me an N800

At the moment, I'm working on figuring out why wvWare (the word conversion library that AbiWord relies on) refuses to convert from 1232 to UTF-8, which is why all Word documents that I've tested show up as ? marks. It seems to be a rather low level problem hitting an osso-modified library, so it's taking some real spadework to figure out...

Print support is mildly hampered by me forgetting that my printer is quite out of ink working on it!

As far as printing directly, at this point I can only test shared printing (via a server) solutions personally. I will look into the Pentax --- I assume you mean the PocketJet 3 described at http://pentaxtech.com/Products/PJ3Pl...res_specs.html (fyi: they mention linux drivers, which means this shouldn't be too bad .

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
Originally Posted by aleksandyr View Post
They did, in fact, "give" me an N800

At the moment, I'm working on figuring out why wvWare (the word conversion library that AbiWord relies on) refuses to convert from 1232 to UTF-8, which is why all Word documents that I've tested show up as ? marks. It seems to be a rather low level problem hitting an osso-modified library, so it's taking some real spadework to figure out...

Print support is mildly hampered by me forgetting that my printer is quite out of ink working on it!
The older version of AbiWord displayed Word files as ??? until the module "more-gconv-modules" was installed. I don't know exactly what that module is or why it makes Word files display correctly, but could that be a hint for the current version? Perhaps if you just install that module it will work?

Bruce