Active Topics

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
reCaptcha has been replaced with questions. You cannot simply replace a service like akismet. I will consider turning akismet off again if someone comes up with a better solution.

Last edited by chemist; 2016-11-02 at 11:57.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
reCaptcha has been replaced with questions.
Thank you , that was really quick!

You cannot simply replace a service like akismet. I will consider turning akismet off again if someone comes up with a better solution.
I understand that akismet filtering is used for the few first postings of a new account, right?
Do you have any data how much spam does it catch, as some stuff still gets through the filtering as spammy first posts?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Would it be possible to block creation of threads with the word review in the first post.

R .................R..........R...........s......... .............
e................e....w.........e.......e......... ...............
v................ v...e.............v...w.........................
i e w s...........i...................i................E ..........

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-11-02 at 16:24.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Do you have any data how much spam does it catch, as some stuff still gets through the filtering as spammy first posts?
It should block creation of threads with links in it now. So not even moderation, just prevent posting at all. If the moderation part is tuned too much I get like everything posted to queue. It is like 1 out of 5 is actually spam. So I turned it off.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
It should block creation of threads with links in it now. So not even moderation, just prevent posting at all. If the moderation part is tuned too much I get like everything posted to queue. It is like 1 out of 5 is actually spam. So I turned it off.
It doesn't block spam.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
reCaptcha has been replaced with questions.
Wow

I am happy to see the change. I think I need to do 2 more captchas.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pavi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
It doesn't block spam.
They pass yahoo, wordpress, google and microsoft, don't you think they manage to pass our measures just as well?! Akismet is wordpress btw, so if they pass wordpress and google they pass everything else just as likely. And there is probably a bug in the link detection of akismet or the forums bbcode parsing, as both are set to prevent posting of links for new users. I am out of ideas btw.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Why can't we have a system in place that disallows, even on edit, links in the initial 5-10 posts?

There are plenty of ideas I'm sure we could all come up with, but what's all been tried?

And I'm familiar with Akismet. Use it on my WP blog.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
spam monkeys