Active Topics

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
IMO this prefix thing isn't working well.
I like the whole idea of prefixes (especially for filtering out threads to read), however, wasn't it easier when people added prefixes in themselves?

There are already at least two threads in the wrong [Prefix].

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93567
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93564

It would appear posters either don't understand the prefix or simply don't care.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
IMO this prefix thing isn't working well.
I like the whole idea of prefixes (especially for filtering out threads to read), however, wasn't it easier when people added prefixes in themselves?

There are already at least two threads in the wrong [Prefix].

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93567
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93564

It would appear posters either don't understand the prefix or simply don't care.

you are right ididnt even know what they mean i just had to add one or else a new thread cant be posted

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I think the problem stems from trying to use prefixes for what should have been solved by proper forum (re-)organization: Fremantle, Harmattan and Sailfish posts should be in their own subsections, rather than desperately trying to solve the mess of chucking them all in one basket by forcing cryptic prefixes.

Even so, it might not be as bad. The word cryptic is a clue here: people might find Fremantle and Harmattan less confusing than M5 and M6.

Of course no system is idiot-proof. We have a Buy & Sell section and still get WTB or FS posts in General

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
So what to do with apps that have a Maemo5+6+SFOS built? any idea?
I can write the OSs in full length if need be...

The Following User Says Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
So what to do with apps that have a Maemo5+6+SFOS built? any idea?
I can write the OSs in full length if need be...
Can I ask, wouldn't a set of enumerations this large (and this complex) be better implemented as tags to a thread, rather than as prefixes to the thread title? In this way, combinations of names can be more easily managed, and people other than the thread originator can potentially add or edit tags where appropriate...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
If people had stopped to abuse the tagging system this could have worked... I can change the prefix to non-mandatory but I did not see any other way than forcing it upon people.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
If people had stopped to abuse the tagging system this could have worked... I can change the prefix to non-mandatory but I did not see any other way than forcing it upon people.
Hmm. I admit that I haven't been keeping up with the issues on TMO, but can't any system be abused? People who see that only "Developers" are allowed to post will join the developers group, whether or not they are developing anything. People who don't understand or don't care what "M5" or "SFOS" translate to will pick one at random...

I think any categorization scheme will require the patience and support of whoever is maintaining it, simply because we are dealing with human beings here. (I suspect that the only possible system that would avoid abuse entirely would be one where the person or persons interested in categorization do the tagging / prefixing / whatever themselves. Don't even let the original poster modify the tag...)

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
I do support your decision to make it mandatory, but I agree that it might be confusing for people who don't know all the abbreviations.

What about showing full OS names when creating the thread (Maemo 5 & Sailfish OS instead od M5&SFOS) and then seeing the abbreviations as prefixes when viewing threads (like it is today)?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
That was actually a good idea!

So I added "Active Members" to the list to make use of it (the limitation did actually prevent people unfamiliar from posting in the software sub-sections) - and I changed the plain text (as seen in the dropdown) to spelled out versions but kept the abbreviations the same. Tell me what you think about that, please.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:

Tags
prefix software