Active Topics

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Seems like a good decision to me, I wish you the best in your new position.

I like the name talk.maemo.org. You can abbreviate it as TMO or TMo or something. It looks professional, too. Its short to type. The name is descriptive.

Will the new forum also be more newbie friendly?

Originally Posted by lma View Post
Could the internettablettalk.com domain remain active and point (or redirect) to the same place? There are lots of links in bugzilla, mailing list archives, blogs etc that will break otherwise.
It is registered till at least 13 june 2009. It would be wise to extend the registration against domain squating. A HTTP redirect or some simple mod_rewrite rules should take care of your point. The ItT Wiki will have to be merged completely by that time though.

Moderators was suggested on the Suggestions forum with useful discussions, and several ideas on how to implement were discussed.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Pretty exciting news! It's good to see that this site won't stagnate but will move on to even better things. I'm looking forward to the new coolness and I know you guys won't let me down. Change is good!

The Following User Says Thank You to Pushwall For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by flareup View Post
With admins, mods etc how can it continue to be perceived as an "honest" refelection?
Just look at the maemo.org mailing lists, bugzilla or Planet . . . do you see any censorship there? maemo.org is not a Nokia domain, it is a community domain under community control and with community rules, which do not include 'must be positive towards Nokia'.

Really, though, who do you think these new mods and admin(s) will be? Random Nokia employees? It wont be anybody you're not already familiar with--this isn't a hostile takeover from Nokia. It's the Maemo Community becoming truly unified with the nice side effect of Nokia paying to get rid of the advertisements, nothing more.

I'll say again: maemo.org is not a nokia.com domain.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
It isn't a nokia.com domain, but it does make it easier to fold the whole lot in one go when maemo is dumped.

... only joking! I think this is a positive move, and one that can only serve to legitimise the position of Maemo as an OS.

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
Huzzahs are in order! HUZZAH

The Following User Says Thank You to namtastic For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Will talk.maemo.org still have a section for Alternatives? I mean, we're talking about KDE, Android, Debian and Ubuntu running on the tablets, but it really isn't maemo related... This is the problem with naming a site after the software rather than the hardware...

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Will talk.maemo.org still have a section for Alternatives? I mean, we're talking about KDE, Android, Debian and Ubuntu running on the tablets, but it really isn't maemo related... This is the problem with naming a site after the software rather than the hardware...
That is a good question I would think Maemo wouldn't want information about other OSes on there site.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
That is a good question I would think Maemo wouldn't want information about other OSes on there site.
s/Maemo/maemo.org and s/there/their

And actually, if you're part of the community: s/their/our

Wiki.maemo.org already contains information on alternate operating systems and environments. Why shouldn't talk.maemo.org?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Note that maemo.org being the home of the Maemo community is open to any topic interesting for the community. Any.

Old memes of the "official" maemo.org in the past (e.g. 'discussion about devices is off-topic') need to be revisited now. Following the example, if Nokia followed the discussions on ITt on hardware they will continue doing so in talk.maemo.org.

And if one day there is a brainstorm.maemo.org and the community wants to open a category to suggest hardware improvements, there will be no Nokia official gatekeeper telling otherwise.

This doesn't mean either that suddenly you will see industrial designers from Nokia discussing about whatever future device. The Maemo SW team will keep digging in its preferred area: open source software development compatible with Maemo. But this won't stop you discussing and working about anything else. Your own initiative and decision.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Wiki.maemo.org already contains information on alternate operating systems and environments. Why shouldn't talk.maemo.org?
hmm, I guess talk.maemo.org/competitors will (still) have the usual flood of posts by people who don't own a Nokia device or who go to the trouble of making an account in order to post about how much better some other device is. And I'm sure the talk.maemo.org/competitors/iPhone forum will still be lots of fun to read

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: