Active Topics

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Don't get me wrong, I am not objecting to the price tag per se. I can understand where it comes from. Jolla is even dearer and I never said a word about it.

What I object to is that, with all the fairness, responsible resourcing and all that jazz, it is still just an Android phone. In other words, there is nothing special about it that makes me want to break my legs in the rush to buy it.

Make the same device but put some interesting OS on it and I might consider it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Sorry for the off-topic post but I feel this has to said.

Originally Posted by backcover_press_service View Post
I think that they justified price tag by high cost of ensuring "fair" (conflict free) resources used and small production scale, just like Neo900 justified even higher price tag by even smaller production scale, before tha latter flopped.
Estel, seriously, you're not fooling anyone with your new name, it wouldn't be the first time you've created a new user whilst banned. Please stop spreading FUD about the Neo900, especially in unrelated threads. The Neo900 project is still very much alive and has not flopped as you say.

Anyone would think you want a permanent ban with your continued behaviour. Personally, I don't want to see you banned as I do value many of your posts. Just behave yourself!

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following User Says Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
What I object to is that, with all the fairness, responsible resourcing and all that jazz, it is still just an Android phone. In other words, there is nothing special about it that makes me want to break my legs in the rush to buy it.
I think that's the point. It's special because of how it's made. For some people, knowing their purchases don't negatively impact others makes it very special.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imaginaryenemy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by imaginaryenemy View Post
I think that's the point. It's special because of how it's made. For some people, knowing their purchases don't negatively impact others makes it very special.
In that case I think the OS should also be "fair" and proven not to negatively impact others.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
In that case I think the OS should also be "fair" and proven not to negatively impact others.
I think you should check how negatively conflict minerals are affecting people before posting this kind of comment... I can't see how software can have the same impact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conflict_minerals

There's a mainstream movie about this too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_Diamond_%28film%29

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vetsin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
I think you should check how negatively conflict minerals are affecting people before posting this kind of comment... I can't see how software can have the same impact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conflict_minerals

There's a mainstream movie about this too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_Diamond_%28film%29
I am aware of the issues, yet the OS used in the fairphone has has been notoriously known for inducing a mad hardware upgrade fever cycle.

All devices use the same OS software and try to diversify and "innovate" through small minor hardware upgrades.

You can't blame an N900 or N9 user to be the conflict mineral hog, and imagine if the respective Maemo OS would have seen some more love and support by its creators. Those devices could have had a 10 year life cycle.

Let's not even begin to reason how the OS in the Fairphone negatively affects people through its spy activities.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
that's a nice perspective but I think no matter what the OS is, it's the marketing people that will push the upgrade cycle with whatever reason they can think of.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vetsin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
that's a nice perspective but I think no matter what the OS is, it's the marketing people that will push the upgrade cycle with whatever reason they can think of.
Undoubtedly.

Fair trade is becoming a marketing term quickly.

IMO owning a Fairphone out of ethical principles means you'd want hold on to it as long as you can.

So Fairphone users, gather at together.jolla.com ,demand commitment by a fair(er) OS maker to support your hardware patform.

More choice in software options means wider support, less user boredom and prolonged device life cycle.

Currently amongst others, the "old" Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE will be recycled by Sailfish OS. I think Fairphone might want to be in that list.

Current vacuum of more or less essential applications for Sailfish due to developers having no central way to get paid for their efforts could be filled by other developers' software supporting the fair principle.

10 essential free fairapps for Fairphone supporters using Sailfish (later optionally payable for other Sailfish users) Just a silly marketing idea?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Undoubtedly.

Fair trade is becoming a marketing term quickly.

IMO owning a Fairphone out of ethical principles means you'd want hold on to it as long as you can.

So Fairphone users, gather at together.jolla.com ,demand commitment by a fair(er) OS maker to support your hardware patform.

More choice in software options means wider support, less user boredom and prolonged device life cycle.

Currently amongst others, the "old" Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE will be recycled by Sailfish OS. I think Fairphone might want to be in that list.

Current vacuum of more or less essential applications for Sailfish due to developers having no central way to get paid for their efforts could be filled by other developers' software supporting the fair principle.

10 essential free fairapps for Fairphone supporters using Sailfish (later optionally payable for other Sailfish users) Just a silly marketing idea?
Yeah, Jolla could work some more on their fairness and the awesomeness will come to them.

My hope is that others like sail ,ubuntu, tizen looking more into the issues about fairness in the future, all thx to fairphone. Also that customers cares about the environmental implications of the industry.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-06-14 at 12:48.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Dave999, advertising with such effort an Android-only device on Maemo forum is similar to saying Thank you, Satan! aloud in God's church. =s

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlashInTheNight86 For This Useful Post:

Tags
android, fair phone, fairphone2