Active Topics

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I am announcing a general fundraiser for all Maemo related tasks.
This includes (but is not limited to); Infrastructure related tasks like
  • server maintanance
  • operator fees
  • HW updates
  • domain registration
  • SW licences

The Maemo TM registration fundraiser was a success, but there were some people that wanted to donate specifically towards infrastructure as opposed to TM. This is now the opportunity to do so.

There is no deadline associated with this fundraiser, rather, it is an ongoing activity to collect money that we need to faciliate the smooth operation of our community now and in the future.

Bank Account
The Bank account of Maemo Community is DE96 5407 0092 0035 4860 00 (Deutsche Bank DEUTDESM540)
Account is in the name of: Maemo Community e.V.

If the bank transfer requires a detailed address of the recipient, you can use the following:
Beethovenstr. 19
67655 Kaiserslautern

If the bank transfer requires a detailed address of the bank, you can use the following:
Deutsche Bank AG filiale
Stiftsplatz 13
67655 Kaiserslautern

PayPal
Please, use only for the sake of saving transfer fees on banking - PayPal contributions will be cut by 1.9%+0.35€ - so if you can use the bank transfer please stick to that (even as NPO PayPal charges %+0.35€ and every cent counts!).

You can donate to us using the address donations#at#maemo.org
(replace hash)

Bitcoin
We do not have a bitcoin account any longer

Note: As we already received donations via PayPal from members within the Eurozone and lots of people demand anonymous registration with maemo.org and the MCe.V. -> just to let you know, PayPal forces us (and any other business) to provide bookkeeping for the USA (no kidding, some shady tax fraud rule that applies to all customers having bank accounts outside the US)

---------- edit ----------

We used to have also a bitcoin account for receiving donations but that was deactivated by Bitpay for not having transactions for 12 consecutive months.

Funnily enough the "Donation Page" which mentions Maemo.org still exists there if you follow the link https:// bitpay. com/960000/donate

Please Do not donate via the Bitpay link. We no longer have the account linked to that address and I have no idea where the money goes if you donate something there!

Mod Edit:
Edited the BitPay link unclickable

Last edited by HtheB; 2024-02-24 at 20:13.

The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
The "shady tax fraud rule" spells NSA... no doubt.

*Waiting for bitcoin support!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eson For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by eson View Post
The "shady tax fraud rule" spells NSA... no doubt.

*Waiting for bitcoin support!
here you go

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
No need to see the spooks everywhere. It is more likely an effort to stamp on tax evasion, an effort I can wholeheartedly agree with. As much as they try to pretend otherwise, PayPal is a USAnian company and is bound by the USAnian tax law.

I've noticed that the "help us the keep on the lights" banner in the top right now correctly links to this thread. Well done!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
No need to see the spooks everywhere. It is more likely an effort to stamp on tax evasion, an effort I can wholeheartedly agree with. As much as they try to pretend otherwise, PayPal is a USAnian company and is bound by the USAnian tax law.

I've noticed that the "help us the keep on the lights" banner in the top right now correctly links to this thread. Well done!
I understand that applies to US companies, but "any foreign account" smells very much like the requested access to all domestic and non-domestic wiretransfer-protocols of the EU

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
I understand that applies to US companies, but "any foreign account" smells very much like the requested access to all domestic and non-domestic wiretransfer-protocols of the EU
I don't believe you are the target. I believe the target are US expats trying to avoid paying US taxes. You just happen to be inconvenienced by it because you have a foreign account in a US financial institution.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
here you go
Thanks!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post

Kinda true, PP have to adhere to whitewashing regulatives (Money-Laundring), You have possibly experienced this with you bank as well at some point (KYC - Know Your Customer).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_laundering

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
You have possibly experienced this with you bank as well at some point
Oh yes. My father once gave me some money towards buying a car. A few thusand euros. In cash. I tried depositing it in my (British) bank and had a LOT of problems with it. I nearly got arested for attempting money laundering. I tried four different banks and they all acted the same way. It reminded me George Orwell's Animal Farm ("two legs bad, four legs good", only "cash bad, wire good"). Eventually I had to fly back, give the cash back to my father and ask him to wire it to me instead.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Banks are lobbying really hard to end use of physical currency for once and for all; one of the stated reasons is fighting against organized crime but I kind of suspect it also has something to do with the cost of handling physical money objects which is not trivial...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo community