Active Topics

Poll: Will you participate in this coding competition
Poll Options
Will you participate in this coding competition

Closed Thread
Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
In order to estimate your resonance to this endevour, we added a poll: "Will you participate in this coding competition?"

Please share your thoughts.
Current Maemo Community Council member

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Win7Mac For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I aswered the poll as "no, but I'd like to help other devs" because I don't feel entitled to participate since I am running the arrangements of the competition

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by Win7Mac View Post
In order to estimate your resonance to this endevour, we added a poll: ...
Please share your thoughts.
We know it is christmas / holiday / new year's time
But we need your input to make this competition happen and successful/fun!

So going to BUMP ...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Since the thread is almost sleeping, i may suppose that community needs a new approach to competitions...
This would mean that a poll is not enough to describe your points of view.

During the last years, the web and the web's communities are changed a lot,
there are new ways to create and new ways to collect money for new ideas or projects.

An example:
Someone could say - "Hey guys, i would pay XX euros if someone would create an app to manage BLABLABLA...who would pay something for the same app? Can we create a competition starting from this? How much can we collect?"

Please be creative. Write down your ideas.
We are community and we can decide what is important for us.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
like, crowdfund prizes for a competition?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I think xes meant something like this. The OP has edited the post, thus losing the continuity to some extent, but basically the whole thread was a case of a number of people requesting a feature and agreeing to pay for it together. And it was done.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Hi All!

I voted no, but I would help if I can (with donation too). I'm not a dev at all; I know python a little but creating little apps in python is just a hobby for me.

So. I thought maybe we can just collect ideas what applications do the community miss in which platform.
I use n900 on a daily basis and... I do not know what I miss... OK, that would be awsome if FCam or BlessN900 could take photos not just with 1 second but 30 seconds maybe or infinity Maybe it is the API or I don't know...
Still... I do not utilize half of my device's capabilities... I do not know who or what kind of people still use n900 but maybe not all of them are computer experts so their needs are maybe differ from yours/ours.

I could imagine that modest is faster. Maybe a better browser would be great (I know that there are tryings...). Modrana is so-so cool and very handy fo me. Being able to run debian/ubuntu/kali chroot... f#&@ing awsome. Maybe a newer python version would be great... So... maybe an up to date device would be great with FULL portrait support Do not get it wrong: I'm so-so thankful for all of you who still care...!

So I would collect ideas, missing functions etc. first and then arrange the competition. We could vote for these missed functions and the devs should ship a solution for that. Ok, this means that maybe only one or two app or function is developed at the same time but we could vote for the best. This is maybe a help for the devs too because if someone could write any app who would decide that "this or that is better or more useful"...?

Cheers,

jm

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I was not here for the previous coding competitions and may have gotten it wrong but my impression was that developers coded what they liked and users would then nominate and/or vote for applications from the pool. I must say I quite like that format. If the "developers code what they like" stage happens to match some of the apps from the wish list then all the better but I am not 100% convinced it should be enforced.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I was not here for the previous coding competitions and may have gotten it wrong but my impression was that developers coded what they liked and users would then nominate and/or vote for applications from the pool.
Yes, you nailed it there. This is how it happens, and discussing other related excercises is outside the scope of this thread.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
I would hopefully take part in Coding Competition, but I doubt I will have time+willpower to do so.

I have several N900s (various microUSB issues, and other problems, like replace-flex-ribbon, or will-replacing-LCD-display-fix-it) and one cyan N9 (sim tray jumping out because of slightly bent corner; SIM tray is new, but SIM contacts inside of device may be slightly rusty; should check with a SIM card before sending it off) and one N950 (sim port broken entirely, microUSB is in excellent condition) to be considered for donations to winners (all have screen protectors, but I would rather fix-hardware and flash-them and check they work without any wifi or cellular issues before sending them out).

It could be possible to make "Donate" threads in Buy-and-Sell section, like "I am looking for a developer to donate this device to, here are photos of device, what app did you develop-or-improve recently" or "I am a developer, I desperately need new device to port-or-continue-developing-my-app, here is the app and its source code". But Coding Competition sounds more Eye-Catching than separate threads, and community-voting-for-winners is more interesting than individuals deciding whom to donate device to.

My interest in Coding Competition would be on fixing-improving-upgrading-old-apps, and making sure they are GTK+Hildon, and seamlessly integrated into the system (like, Belltower using system-wide map-handler, akin to address-book, instead of calling out for Google Maps). For example, Navit has a GTK+ GUI, but it's not touch-friendly, it's not hildon-ised.

For example, in Games category the _only_ app which attempts to emulate Nokia's design is maemosweeper , it just needs some improvements.

[Edit] Voted Undecided in the poll [/Edit]

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2016-01-07 at 06:48.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
coding is hard, maemo council