Notices

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Alpha release - BRAVE TESTERS WANTED!

This application will convert the resistive screen of your N900 into a hi-resolution mobile X-Ray unit. (FUN & STRANGE)

Scan process:

For the rest you have to install the appliation first to test it yourself.

How it works?
Each cell of your Screen that represent a pixel is able to detect cosmic background radiation. Normally you see this only as noise. You know it from modern digital cameras. Night shoots are worst affected. Normally you’re unable to see this at your screen because of the integrated background illumination. Now there is a way to filter the background illumination and detect the cosmic background radiation. This application is able to switch the N900 LCD Matrix preamplifier into a readout mode!
You will see that this works unexpected well. It needs several seconds to develop a image. Please take the time and don’t slide the keyboard in or out during the process to get the best result.

Because of the Touchscreensensor this application is at the Moment only able to detect roentgen radiation at maximum 14 millimeters behind the screen. But we are working at code to improve the range to about 40 millimeters.
And thanks to designer2k2 from http://www.designer2k2.at/ for the "image visulation engine". Great work dude!

And as ever the usual warning applies:
The software hosted in extras-devel is not ready for normal users!
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't play with it unless you really know what you are doing. Be ready to file proper bug reports instead of posting complaints.
Expected problems: crashes, battery drain, poor system performance, full disk space & more - SERIOUSLY!

Don't play with Extras-devel if you haven't backed up your data or aren't prepared to re-flash your device.
It's the first release of this Application. Perhaps there could be a lot of bugs inside. So please test it only if you know what you're doing or wait what will happen in this Thread. And don't forget to create a backup (just in case). I only want to share my little application. But I hope for a lot of positive feedback!

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

Last edited by helex; 2011-05-25 at 22:29.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate

Sounds interesting! I'm going to give it a go at the weekend, once my new hazmat suit arrives from ebay - can't be too careful with LCD preamplifier cosmic background radiation!

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 183 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
Just tested it. Whilst there are no bugs per se, it doesnt seem to work as expected. Maybe this is a prank application that doesnt work?

Keyboard closed only showed contents of phone. Keyboard open only showed the circuitry directly behind the screen. I tried placing my fingers behind the screen, didnt show them. Placed car keys directly behind screen, again didnt show. Im not convinced that these arent just images youve placed there

Last edited by Storm_11; 2011-05-20 at 01:29.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Storm_11 For This Useful Post:
its not even april fools...

Originally Posted by Storm_11 View Post
Just tested it. Whilst there are no bugs per se, it doesnt seem to work as expected. Maybe this is a prank application that doesnt work?

Keyboard closed only showed contents of phone. Keyboard open only showed the circuitry directly behind the screen. I tried placing my fingers behind the screen, didnt show them. Placed car keys directly behind screen, again didnt show. Im not convinced that these arent just images youve placed there
What kernel are you using? This doesn't work with power kernels.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
Oh, boy. I really shouldn't have tested this on my mom.

Last edited by jd4200; 2011-05-20 at 10:25.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jd4200 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Storm_11 View Post

Keyboard closed only showed contents of phone. Keyboard open only showed the circuitry directly behind the screen. I tried placing my fingers behind the screen, didnt show them. Placed car keys directly behind screen, again didnt show.
It sounds like you may have a defective N900 I'd suggest calling Nokia Care to question why the cosmic background radiation from your N900's LCD preamplifier is not sufficient to enable you to see your fingers through the phone. If this fails to fix the problem you may wish to raise a bug report.

Im not convinced that these arent just images youve placed there
loool

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Does that mean I can use my N900 to see through girls' dresses? By the Holy sheet of the hail mary, I swear that the iPhone is really gonna know its' place, now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to number41 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by number41 View Post
Does that mean I can use my N900 to see through girls' dresses? By the Holy sheet of the hail mary, I swear that the iPhone is really gonna know its' place, now.
I already had a bad experience with it. You really don't want to know what kind of underwear your 65 year old room cleaner wears.

Tags
funny, jokeware, strange