Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
I have a few apps using Google Play Services on my Passport. I can just dismiss the "download the Google Play Services" dialog window and the apps work fine.
Not differnet on Jolla and a message created by those Android apps. Most work after ignoring the message, but not all. Always a shame when a well done app turns into a crappy one needing Google Services all the sudden... Something us Blackberry/Jolla users have to deal with.

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
Dunno if it it's the same on Jolla. I recently switched from Jolla to BlackBerry Passport and on Jolla I didn't have those particular apps installed but on the PP I have

Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
Dunno if it it's the same on Jolla. I recently switched from Jolla to BlackBerry Passport and on Jolla I didn't have those particular apps installed but on the PP I have
Idk, but maybe you installed a newer version of the app on your PP. Both Android emulations don't use Google services. I already had Android apps which after an update all the sudden needed those ridiculous services...

Posts: 645 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Finland
For me on Jolla I could just dismiss that notification for needed google services and application worked. I was using Twitch.tv app.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mikkosssss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Estonia
I'm also considering switching from N900 to Blackberry Passport. Physical keyboard is a strong argument... However, I have some questions and maybe some ex Maemo & present Blackberry Passport user could easily answer:

1. Which is the best way to get data (contacts, calendar) from N900 to Passport?
2. Is it possible (like in Sailfish) to uninstall/remove Android runtime from Blackberry OS.
3. If yes, then what are the consequences? Is the Android runtime tightly integrated and without it several applications (like Skype etc) in Blackberry World would not install and run?

Thank you in anticipation...

Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by acrux View Post
I'm also considering switching from N900 to Blackberry Passport. Physical keyboard is a strong argument... However, I have some questions and maybe some ex Maemo & present Blackberry Passport user could easily answer:

1. Which is the best way to get data (contacts, calendar) from N900 to Passport?
2. Is it possible (like in Sailfish) to uninstall/remove Android runtime from Blackberry OS.
3. If yes, then what are the consequences? Is the Android runtime tightly integrated and without it several applications (like Skype etc) in Blackberry World would not install and run?

Thank you in anticipation...

Have owned Passport since September last year, guess I can answer some of your questions.

1. There is a BB blend software like PC suite but I'm not sure if it works with Maemo. I use outlook exchange to sync my contacts and calendar.

2. It is possible. You just need some desktop manager to sideload/uninstall BB10 packages, I use the Chrome extension. However, I don't think uninstalling-reinstalling is as easy as Jolla, you may need a reflash to get it back.

And also, there is not much point doing so, PP has 3 GB RAM and AFAIK the Android runtime itself only uses maximum 200-300MB, if it was on Jolla it matters but here we have 3 GB, rich enough to ignore that I guess?

It's worth mentioning Android runtime in BB10 is very different from Jolla, Both have cons and pros. In short:

BB10 can hide/show back bar easily.
In newest OS 10.3.3 on Passport you can choose running Android with different DPI setting and aspect ratio. For example you can run in Tablet mode in which everything is smaller, or Game mode which is forced to 16:9.

However, Android inside BB10 isn't as smooth as Jolla, to make it better, you can use Debug Token to convert APK to BAR on PC and install it, it's much smoother than installing directly on the phone, but in this way it is inconvenient to get updates as you have to convert and do the same again.

Also Google Play and other other APPs heavily integrating GPlay services might not running well on BB10.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Estonia
So the the situation with apps in Blackberry World could be somewhat messy...
There are native BlackBerry OS apps, Android apps and Android Apps converted to BlackBerry packages.
And there is no information what type of the app the current one is. Or is it? At least browsing Blackberry World did not reveal that info directly...
Let's take for example Skype. There is nowhere information, what type of the app it is. Only looking at the More Description shows: "For more information, visit the Skype for BlackBerry® FAQ page: http://www.skype.com/go/help.faq.blackberry", but that link does not exist and is redirected to https://support.skype.com/en/skype/android/ page and one could assume that Skype for Blackberry is an Android application...

Originally Posted by acrux View Post
So the the situation with apps in Blackberry World could be somewhat messy...
There are native BlackBerry OS apps, Android apps and Android Apps converted to BlackBerry packages.
And there is no information what type of the app the current one is. Or is it? At least browsing Blackberry World did not reveal that info directly...
Let's take for example Skype. There is nowhere information, what type of the app it is. Only looking at the More Description shows: "For more information, visit the Skype for BlackBerry® FAQ page: http://www.skype.com/go/help.faq.blackberry", but that link does not exist and is redirected to https://support.skype.com/en/skype/android/ page and one could assume that Skype for Blackberry is an Android application...
Skype is an android app but modified for bb10 so you have notifications in the hub and a nice icon there too

The Following User Says Thank You to tommo For This Useful Post:

Tags
android apps, blackberry, jolla, sailfish