Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
chenliangchen's Avatar
Posts: 1,364 | Thanked: 7,585 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
#371
A quick feedback will be appreciated:

See the first attached picture -

As Explit asked before, there is actually a possibility of adding cellular network, but 3G instead of LTE.

(Also LTE involves too many bands across different regions, but 3G is more unified.)

On the open connectors on the right hand side of the picture, we can put a 3G modem on it. And another slot will be made next to the micro SD slot. See the second attached pic.

The question is: Is that of your interest to have a 3G cellular function with a reasonable (small) cost? Or you prefer WiFi only?

Also worth note that due to the limitation of this old PCBA, we can only use a dual 3G band modem, therefore I can't make a universal 3G model, will be 1 model for NA and LATAM, and other model for RoW.

Please give us your feedback, as we are close to launch the product...

P.S: Anyone notice the memory chip on the first pic? It's KLMDGAGEAC-B001 and it's 128GB
Attached Images
  
 

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jun 2017
#372
I personally do not need 3G. Wifi only is fine for me.
 

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hårfagre For This Useful Post:
Posts: 116 | Thanked: 348 times | Joined on Jul 2011
#373
3g option would be plus for me, especially if it doesn't cost very much.
 

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pexi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,673 | Thanked: 3,699 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
#374
Looking really nice! What frequencies would 3G use? Most likely I would just tether off phone which has LTE. What processor are you using. My biggest complaint about my Jolla (taobao) tablet is that it is painfully slow. Any improvement there? Thanks for all your work!
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
chenliangchen's Avatar
Posts: 1,364 | Thanked: 7,585 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
#375
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Looking really nice! What frequencies would 3G use? Most likely I would just tether off phone which has LTE. What processor are you using. My biggest complaint about my Jolla (taobao) tablet is that it is painfully slow. Any improvement there? Thanks for all your work!
There will be 2 versions of 3G bands. One with 850/1900 for North and South America, and another version of 900/2100 for EU/Asia/RoW.

I can't put all those 4 bands on one modem as the old PCB does not support.

Processor is the same as Jolla Tab. I think in terms of power it should be enough, it's the SW optimisation that needed...
 

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 643 | Thanked: 637 times | Joined on Jul 2007
#376
3G would be great. But only if it worked on T-Mobile in the U.S.
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 313 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
#377
On one side, if this is increasing only marginally end price, then why not.
But then, if this is creating much more trouble for you in terms of handling different versions, plus some certification hassles (selling a product without certification is probably very risky and certification is costly and takes time), not counting on more testing, drivers, etc... I think this is maybe better to concentrate on wifi only?
 

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post:
chenliangchen's Avatar
Posts: 1,364 | Thanked: 7,585 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
#378
Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
3G would be great. But only if it worked on T-Mobile in the U.S.
It will be working. (With the 850/1900 modem) As TMO-US mainly uses 1900 for 3G...
 

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Dave999's Avatar
Posts: 6,875 | Thanked: 8,440 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
#379
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
A quick feedback will be appreciated:

See the first attached picture -

As Explit asked before, there is actually a possibility of adding cellular network, but 3G instead of LTE.

(Also LTE involves too many bands across different regions, but 3G is more unified.)

On the open connectors on the right hand side of the picture, we can put a 3G modem on it. And another slot will be made next to the micro SD slot. See the second attached pic.

The question is: Is that of your interest to have a 3G cellular function with a reasonable (small) cost? Or you prefer WiFi only?

Also worth note that due to the limitation of this old PCBA, we can only use a dual 3G band modem, therefore I can't make a universal 3G model, will be 1 model for NA and LATAM, and other model for RoW.

Please give us your feedback, as we are close to launch the product...

P.S: Anyone notice the memory chip on the first pic? It's KLMDGAGEAC-B001 and it's 128GB
I would love LTE, 3G is cool too! Cost is no issue. but I most win in the jolla refund roulette game to support any sailfish product.

I vote for a 3G model specially since that was a one of the fake stretch goal by jolla.

But that just my option. GL!


Edit:


would it be possible to have this flag on the back I would pay extra for the red one
__________________
Do something for the climate today! Anything!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...I'm also supporting Apple 2016 or until Jolla fully refund or ship the jPad to all backers and supports!

"waited over a year for no tablet – and then the same again for potential refund? inspires confidence!"
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
chenliangchen's Avatar
Posts: 1,364 | Thanked: 7,585 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
#380
Originally Posted by P@t View Post
On one side, if this is increasing only marginally end price, then why not.
But then, if this is creating much more trouble for you in terms of handling different versions, plus some certification hassles (selling a product without certification is probably very risky and certification is costly and takes time), not counting on more testing, drivers, etc... I think this is maybe better to concentrate on wifi only?
Making too many SKUs is my concern... As I can't put a unified 3G modem onto the device, which adds 2 SKUs (America, EU/ASIA) and then WiFi, it will add up some cost.

Regarding certificates, all the devices will be certified. It's a one-off cost and shouldn't be an issue. (There is also software modification needed)

Therefore I want to know the demand of 3G - if it's worth the work.
 

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:01.