Active Topics

At the Symbian Smartphone Show in London, Nokia's just unveiled their first touchscreen S60 interface. The video just uses concept models however, the first actual touchscreen S60 smartphones are due out some time in 2008.

Here's the news story and a video from the press conference:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/...e_Launched.php

What interests me the most is the concept of tactile feedback, you'll be able to feel something when you tap the screen. Not sure how they'll do this one.

Note how the video includes the phone running YouTube at full frame rate through the browser.

Touchscreen support in S60 isn't new, it's been buried away in the specifications for over a year now, but no S60 manufacturer has actually used this feature until now.

Motion/orientation sensors in S60 aren't new either, the Nokia 5500 smartphone (released in 2006) has a built-in accelerometer which tells the phone which way up it is. However, this is the first time that S60 would use the accelerometer in the actual interface rather than just in applications.

Full speed Youtube? Nice. I just hope Nokia manage to get that working on the N810.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
The stylus is a bad idea, it should be 100% finger friendly with no need to use a stylus at all.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Tuxedosteve View Post
Full speed Youtube? Nice. I just hope Nokia manage to get that working on the N810.
Full speed YouTube on the N800 would be even better!

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Full speed YouTube on the N800 would be even better!
I've pretty much given up all hope of full speed youtube on the N800. Even more so when I consider the inevitability of me buying a N810 with hardware keyboard

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
At the Symbian Smartphone Show in London, Nokia's just unveiled their first touchscreen S60 interface. The video just uses concept models however, the first actual touchscreen S60 smartphones are due out some time in 2008.

Here's the news story and a video from the press conference:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/...e_Launched.php

What interests me the most is the concept of tactile feedback, you'll be able to feel something when you tap the screen. Not sure how they'll do this one.

Note how the video includes the phone running YouTube at full frame rate through the browser.

Touchscreen support in S60 isn't new, it's been buried away in the specifications for over a year now, but no S60 manufacturer has actually used this feature until now.

Motion/orientation sensors in S60 aren't new either, the Nokia 5500 smartphone (released in 2006) has a built-in accelerometer which tells the phone which way up it is. However, this is the first time that S60 would use the accelerometer in the actual interface rather than just in applications.
You are a bit off here.
The 770 Internet Tablet was in fact based on the touchscreen UI (a variation of S60 called S90) of the 7700 and 7710 cell phones circa 2003. That's where "770" came from. We've gone full circle. I am thankful for the iphone because it's prompted Nokia to return touchscreen phones to their lineup after a multi-year hiatus. I've posted more about this previously. (I think in one of the E90 threads)

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
The stylus is a bad idea, it should be 100% finger friendly with no need to use a stylus at all.
I have to agree. The stylus should be an occasional convenience, not a necessity IMO.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
use UKTUBE!!! Full speed youtube

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Caribbean
I agree!!
Konttori might be blowing his own horn here, but his program does make
YouTube playback with a full screen and no stutters. Yeah, yeah, a couple of extra clicks and you do have to wait a few seconds while the video starts to download through his program, but hey, it does work very well.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Ì should probably make it a separate application asap and put it to garage. Not enough people use it yet, I think. It would be great if someone added new sources for the uktube (as in code to add other video sites to be compatible with it).