Active Topics

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Austria
Dear friends,

As I am back to the N900, I have a working unit now, but when I try to install apps (for example Bible reader Katana), I always encounter a message which says that some packages are missing:

libqt
libhildon

And some others.....

Where and how can I install these packages?

Sorry, I am quite new to linux...... So please explain it in a "dummy" way. Thanks!

Another question: My newly acquired N900 is a used one of course, and I do not have the root password (for terminal....) to install things through apt-get, or so. How can I find out the root password or is there a go-around?

Or should I flash the whole thing new?

Also, youtube is not working on the Web browser..... I don't know why.

I installed the new repos from the new repos homepage by the way.

Sorry for the dumb questions! Thanks for your replies: Balazs

Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Originally Posted by beckerbalazs View Post
Dear friends,

As I am back to the N900, I have a working unit now, but when I try to install apps (for example Bible reader Katana), I always encounter a message which says that some packages are missing:

libqt
libhildon

And some others.....

Where and how can I install these packages?

Sorry, I am quite new to linux...... So please explain it in a "dummy" way. Thanks!

Another question: My newly acquired N900 is a used one of course, and I do not have the root password (for terminal....) to install things through apt-get, or so. How can I find out the root password or is there a go-around?

Or should I flash the whole thing new?

Also, youtube is not working on the Web browser..... I don't know why.

I installed the new repos from the new repos homepage by the way.

Sorry for the dumb questions! Thanks for your replies: Balazs

Hi, Balazs!

First things first: is it a freshly reflashed device or you bought it with this state? Which image is it running on (stock, CSSU...)?
Btw. you can install packages through the application manager (and you SHOULD install packages that way...).

For root priviliges you do not have to guess any password just install the package named rootsh. But as long as you are not familiar what you are doing I recommend not to use that... Also: try to install packages through application manager as maemo is not designed to install anything with apt-get (you can of course but you must know what you are doing...).

If it is not a freshly reflashed device and you do not have essential datas on it (you can save them/backup them of course) then I suggest you to reflash it and use CSSU.

Youtube is not working because of libflashplayer... I recommend you to install cutetube2. This is a native application and for this reason far better than trying to view anything on the web browser.

Btw. I'm hungarian too so if you would like maybe I can help with some things if you p.m. me...

Cheers,

jm

The Following User Says Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
You might have noticed that Nokia has moved on.
They even removed the repository servers, which offers the lists for apt-get or the GUI application managers and the packages as well. You need the repository information for the alternative mirrors and you need to disable the 'old' Nokia repositories

There is a list of mirror repositories in the wiki
http://wiki.maemo.org/Repository#Lis...o_repositories

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 9 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Austria
Yes, thanks. I managed to find the new repositories, that is working, but I need to reflash the N900, so much is corrupt.

But I cannot find a place with the latest firmware image (I would need a German version ???)

Where can I download the firmware images? (I have the flasher 3.5 now downloaded for my Linux system, hopefully it will work.)

Thanks for your help: Balazs

Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
For example: this, or this, or even this

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Have a look here;

http://web.archive.org/web/201311170...ev/nokia_N900/

I am not sure there actually is a German version, so you might need to use the global one.

Edit: sharing from "justmemory" is so much faster than i/o from disk...

The Following User Says Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Global release is fine for Germany