Posts: 115 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Central Ohio
I'm not a developer or major community wrangler or anything, but the way the various projects look to me...
  • "Maemo" is/was Nokia's Internet Tablets OS based on Debian, using the GTK Hildon framework plus ever-increasing amounts of Qt.
  • "Moblin" is/was Intel and the Linux Foundation's OS based more or less on Mandriva, using a GTK framework of some kind.
  • "MeeGo" is a failed merger attempt between Maemo and Moblin - Mandriva base plus Qt framework. It has also been used as the name of Maemo version 6, which wholeheartedly embraced Qt.
  • "Tizen" is essentially Intel/LF's successor to Moblin, with a few Maemo folks involved, using HTML5 As A Software Framework and EFL. (Incidentally, that last leaves me screaming in horror.)
  • "Mer" WAS originally a community update project (Hildon-based) that was to be a successor to Maemo. It is now a project based on the Maemo/Moblin merger attempt (Qt-based) which may end up hooking up with Tizen but hasn't officially done so yet.
  • "Meltemi" is Nokia's next Linux OS which may or may not be a successor to Maemo and/or an Android competitor and/or the fifth horseman of the apocalypse and/or something else entirely. Rumor suggests it'll use Qt, but for all we know for sure it could be using OpenMotif or something.

Does that help?

Last edited by Viqsi; 2012-03-13 at 19:48. Reason: mark up the list

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Viqsi For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Kinda, few inaccuracies AFAICS, but mostly on the money.

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ SD, CA
Because people are crazy.

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ SD, CA
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I'm not a developer or major community wrangler or anything, but the way the various projects look to me...
  • "Maemo" is/was Nokia's Internet Tablets OS based on Debian, using the GTK Hildon framework plus ever-increasing amounts of Qt.
  • "Moblin" is/was Intel and the Linux Foundation's OS based more or less on Mandriva, using a GTK framework of some kind.
  • "MeeGo" is a failed merger attempt between Maemo and Moblin - Mandriva base plus Qt framework. It has also been used as the name of Maemo version 6, which wholeheartedly embraced Qt.
  • "Tizen" is essentially Intel/LF's successor to Moblin, with a few Maemo folks involved, using HTML5 As A Software Framework and EFL. (Incidentally, that last leaves me screaming in horror.)
  • "Mer" WAS originally a community update project (Hildon-based) that was to be a successor to Maemo. It is now a project based on the Maemo/Moblin merger attempt (Qt-based) which may end up hooking up with Tizen but hasn't officially done so yet.
  • "Meltemi" is Nokia's next Linux OS which may or may not be a successor to Maemo and/or an Android competitor and/or the fifth horseman of the apocalypse and/or something else entirely. Rumor suggests it'll use Qt, but for all we know for sure it could be using OpenMotif or something.

Does that help?
Whats wrong with Meego Harmattan that you want to go to Meltemi?
Anyways, Nokias future in the US is going to be Windows. Forever.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
To me it appears that Meltemi starts from scratch for S40. Without much Maemo heritage.
Nokia smartphones won't get another Linux anyway. Meltemi is for feature phones, and that division of Nokia is heaed by Mary McDowell instead of Elop.
It could be that Elop doesn't have much to say on Meltemi.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
To me it appears that Meltemi starts from scratch for S40. Without much Maemo heritage.
Nokia smartphones won't get another Linux anyway. Meltemi is for feature phones, and that division of Nokia is heaed by Mary McDowell instead of Elop.
It could be that Elop doesn't have much to say on Meltemi.
The only real smartphones ever created has run Symbian and to some different extent Maemo and Android. WP and iOS are not smartphones, but featurephones with app stores. S40 is just as much smartphone as iOS is, only with much less HP.

Just note that Tizen also borrows from Bada. Whatever the deal is, the most flexible option is and will be Mer with derivatives. Which potentially will be installable on any open enough device (provided there are needed kernel sources / drivers etc.). Others like Meltemi and etc. will be probably limited to their targeted devices and not as flexible.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by specc View Post
Of course there is a plan B, only that plan is irrelevant for the Nokia/MS partnership and certainly irrelevant for MS and any future Nokia/MS ecosystem. The future lies in controlling an ecosystem, not making OS'es or hardware. OS and hardware are merely the wrapping.

Plan B is Android regardless.
"Plan B is to make Plan A work" These are Elops words. And what do you think would happen the the company if after the fail of WP lets say at the end of Q3 beginning of Q4 they announce they are going to shift strategy again and go android, Nokia is already the laughing stock of the mobile world it would lose the very little credibility it has. And even if they go on and do that they simply can't afford it. The sad truth is that Nokia signed it's death sentence on Feb 2011 and now its just waiting for the execution.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zoxir For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Central Ohio
Originally Posted by balisingh View Post
Whats wrong with Meego Harmattan that you want to go to Meltemi?
Anyways, Nokias future in the US is going to be Windows. Forever.
I'm not sure where you got the impression that I "want to go to Meltemi". I'm perfectly happy with my N900. If anything, I want Maemo to keep on going on, but that almost certainly isn't going to happen.

The Following User Says Thank You to Viqsi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
i can live with less app, bullsh*t look at whatsapp thread, some gays are overrated,

theyre truly geeky for 'chat'

Tags
buysomethinelse, it's undead, maemo's dead, meego's dead, r-d-f, tizen lives, winding down