Active Topics

Maybe, perhaps?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
One incomplete OS versus another incomplete OS... meh. Believe whatever makes you feel better.

Microsoft needs to find an alternate revenue stream and transition to being a company that understands the fact that from this year forward, if they're not in the mobile sector in a big way, they will fail in the near future.

Ok I know Meego was/is incomplete but could it just be they saw the potential and decided not to take any chances? I do think that is what happened, I mean Microsoft has seen Linux do so much on servers and now with android....

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
Ok I know Meego was/is incomplete but could it just be they saw the potential and decided not to take any chances? I do think that is what happened, I mean Microsoft has seen Linux do so much on servers and now with android....
IMO this was a bonus, not the primary objective. MSFT want to "dominate the phone mindspace" (or somesuch BS). We all know how much Ballmer hates Linux - almost as much as he loves Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! (so long as they're developing using the right IDE) but this is all about getting WP7 into people's pockets.

As Nokia conveniently put themselves within reach/in the firing line with the stifling beauracracy (and attendant fail/drag effect) of the last few years, MSFT saw this as an excellent medium to push WP7 on millions more people. Hence our current (and presumably irreversible) miserable situation.

That is all.

Last edited by shallimus; 2011-02-16 at 16:12.

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gaffney, South Carolina, USA
Rubbish. WP7 is out and generating revenue, MeeGo is a hope and a promise. Elop went for the in hand $$ vs the chance of $$, M$ just gave him the easy way to do it.

MeeGo has a long way to go before its a threat to anything, for starters ... actually running fully on its intended target would be nice.

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by Scottlfa View Post
MeeGo has a long way to go before its a threat to anything, for starters ... actually running fully on its intended target would be nice.
You have a Nokia phone running WP7? Please review it and put up some Youtube videos!

Oh. Right.

The Following User Says Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by Scottlfa View Post
Rubbish. WP7 is out and generating revenue, MeeGo is a hope and a promise. Elop went for the in hand $$ vs the chance of $$, M$ just gave him the easy way to do it.

If that is so, why, even with the full cooperation of a Microsoft loving CEO, are we more likely to see a Meego Nokia device out in the market before a WP7 one? Don't kid yourself. Meego is not any less ready than WP7.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
That's the problem. Seeing potential in something that's unfinished, that came from an unfinished "social experiment" of an OS (Maemo) that never yielded anything finished is not a threat by any stretch of the imagination.

If it's because it's open, Linux still exists. Somebody will probably come along and do it right and give the geeks an option. If it's because it's Linux based, then once the semantics are pushed aside, that's already here via Android, WebOS, or even iOS (locked down).

Potential is fine and dandy when it's in the beginning. From the 770 to now, Nokia has not capitalized on Maemo and given a year, Intel and Nokia didn't capitalize with MeeGo.

My faith is elsewhere because it's not with anything Nokia could muster because they have wasted too much of my time with under-delivering.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I very much doubt that.
It was indirectly as it was the thing standing between MS and Nokia. It has been quite clear that Samsung and HTC are not really pushing WP7 hard enough and Nokia is exaclty like something MS needed to try to turn the tides.

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gaffney, South Carolina, USA
The point is that there is NO production MeeGo phone out by anyone. Were as there are numerous W7 devices out. So the OS is done, and out in the wild for growth. MeeGo which everyone holds so dear has yet to even get out completely on the test device, N900. So no OS. Vaporware isn't a threat to anyone.

Won't be long and there will be Nokia W7 devices out. Once that happens a port may even happen [not really likely but one never knows]. Enjoy what has been made real [Maemo].