Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2010 @ TORONTO
There should be a FIFA WORLD CUP APP for the Nokia N900. We need entertainment apps in which the users like myself will never get bored from. When will from the programmers for the N900 establish such entertainment apps? Most people complain that the consumers had bought the Nokia N900 specifically for the apps. Come on lets create apps which are entertaining.

The Following User Says Thank You to Amandeep For This Useful Post:
WorldTV should have some channels with it on
or you could use the browser

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 120 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by Amandeep View Post
Most people complain that the consumers had bought the Nokia N900 specifically for the apps.
Anybody who's bought an N900 specifically for apps has been badly mislead. I would respectfully suggest that they sell their N900 and buy a phone running a platform for which there actually are the apps they're looking for (that would probably be either iPhone or Android). The N900 is great for many things (mainly geeky things) but certainly not for consumer apps.

With Nokia's lack or communication, lack of clarity on their strategy for Symbian and Maemo / Meego and failure so far to deliver a good and viable platform for developers to develop, distribute and sell their apps, there aren't many developers around who're willing to put their house on the line to create professional consumer apps for Maemo.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mehdiE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 330 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mumbai, India and Amherst, USA (Current Location)
AMAN DEEP, N900 ka jamana gaya!

We should have SLINGPLAYER for N900 as they have it in Symbian....

Just a thought......

Maybe some developer can make that HAPPEN..

Would be awsome

Originally Posted by miri View Post
We should have SLINGPLAYER for N900 as they have it in Symbian....

Just a thought......

Maybe some developer can make that HAPPEN..

Would be awsome
Or you ask slingplayer since their app is(??) is closed source

Although I have a slight tendency to agree, is the problem not Nokia's

Nasa wont release another app for any other phone afaik they have released the iphone app and that is it as far as they are concerned

BBC & TVCatchup & Formula 1 are a few others who im betting will only ever be iphone apps for and no other portable device

and sadly no doubt there will be countless other companies who will only release iphone apps and nothing for the n900

I hope to be proven wrong but Apple pretty much have the market well and truly swen up, developers and big companies like BBC, NASA Formula 1 etc know they are on to a winner with the iphone apps

Originally Posted by *Sonic* View Post
Although I have a slight tendency to agree, is the problem not Nokia's

Nasa wont release another app for any other phone afaik they have released the iphone app and that is it as far as they are concerned

BBC & TVCatchup & Formula 1 are a few others who im betting will only ever be iphone apps for and no other portable device

and sadly no doubt there will be countless other companies who will only release iphone apps and nothing for the n900

I hope to be proven wrong but Apple pretty much have the market well and truly swen up, developers and big companies like BBC, NASA Formula 1 etc know they are on to a winner with the iphone apps
I tend to agree to a point. In a time of Maemo 5, no chance having some of the apps you mentioned.

Symbian is pain to develope and maemo 5 is niche, but not in a too far future that will change much easier. With Symbian^4 and MeeGo being all about Qt and sharing app base i honestly think that Nokia's app base will grow in a big leaps(will be in a different league compared to AVKON based Symbian). But then in that time that must happen because of the backwards compatibility is mostly removed.

Something like F1 and BBC app i would expect to see in Qt at some point, but the problem is that i really don't believe Nokia can even dream larger than lets say ~20% market share in states and that brings some problems.

I do hope it will change and the big boys will see that not everyone has an iphone, although to be fair to Formula1 they do have a symbian app

I only know one person with an n900 (other than on here and myself ) and I was really surprised at the local shop the other day the young girl behind the counter asked was that the new Nokia I had as she nearly got one, and I said I was a bit schocked as its usually iphone LOL, to which she said she has an itouch so didnt want an iphone as a phone

everyone else I know has an iphone and anyone I know wanted to develop or program, only want to do it on the iphone and absolutely no interest in anything else and it doesnt help that those same people are now all drooling over the iPad

other than waiting for backtrack (if it ever comes out) i would like to see a dedicated iplayer, f1 and nasa app, but then I guess if flash 10.1 comes then we wont need the dedicated apps

Making available a version of Moonlight (M$ Silverlight) for the Maemo platform would solve this problem instantly.

I am eagerly awaiting!!!