Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Hello there. I've made a small guide for newbies: "How to make Tablet work as additional PC screen". That work for Windows 2000/XP and maybe Vista. It's real side display, not some field of your desktop. So here it is:

Required PC-Side software:

- RealVNC ( http://www.realvnc.com/ )
- Windows virtual display driver from the ZoneScreen app (http://www.zoneos.com/zonescreen.htm )

Required Tablet-side software:
- VNC Viewer (it's right in the extras, install it thru App Manager)

What should I do?:
- Download ZoneScreen ( For XP: http://www.zoneos.com/downloads/zone...wxp_x86_en.zip, For Vista:http://www.zoneos.com/downloads/zone...wlh_x86_en.zip, For 2K: http://www.zoneos.com/downloads/zone...86_en_1090.zip), unpack it.

- Open up control panel - New Hardware installation - next - Yes, new hardware is connected - last row in the list (add new device) - Manual hardware installation, selected from the list - Show all hardware - Install from the disk - chose the folder with unpacked ZoneScreen - select file zonescreen.inf.

- Go to the Desktop Properties - Settings tab - you should see a small third display appeared in monitor sceme - select it and set the flag "expand desktop to this display" - apply.

- Open up the folder with unpacked ZoneScreen - run zserver.exe - hit Next - in the second combo-box select your virtual display (NOT \\. \DISPLAY1) - in the third combobox search for "800x480x16@42" row - hit Next - Select from the top menu "File - Save configuration to run at startup" (that's because XP resets secondary display settings after restart)
If that app really helped you and saved you 300 bucks that you wanted to spend on usb-display - please donate some of them to the author, cause his job is really unique.

- setup Real VNC.
- run it - doubleclick on tray icon - select Authentication tab - set "VNC password authentication" and hit "Configure" - enter any password - save - close.

- Setup VNC Viewer on your tablet.

- Run it - hit the first button - enter your PC's IP - enter password - now you can see your desktop - scroll upper-right utill you'll see the field without any applications and windows - this is our virtual display, say "Hello" to it.

-click on the VNC Viewer title - hit "view" - uncheck "show scrollbars" - hit "show toolbar" - uncheck "fullscreen".

- press fullscreen button

Our wireless (or maybe wired) second display is ready. Serve it with beer and nuts

Last edited by wazd; 2008-12-27 at 23:47.

The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to wazd For This Useful Post:
Imp--ressive ! :-)

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Just fyi, because this is using VNC, its going to be slow. Also, the tablet has a much higher pixel density than your monitor, so apps will look awkward.

For Vista Users (and I guess Win7): This will disable Aero because Microsoft is ******ed beyond belief.

ANOTHER METHOD (Won't Disable Aero):

This method is slightly different, but works just as good.

Required PC-Side software:
- RealVNC ( http://www.realvnc.com/ )
- Dual head graphics card with only one monitor plugged in
-Monitor with more than one input (aka VGA and DVI)

Required Tablet-side software:
- VNC Viewer (it's right in the extras, install it thru App Manager)

Ok, so if you have a dual head graphics card (most new ones are), this is what you do. First, you plug the SAME monitor into the card twice. This tricks the computer into thinking there are two monitors plugged in, but there is only one.

Now, most monitors can select DVI or VGA. First, go to the VGA screen, and change the resolution to 800x480.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/lcd-...n-windows.html

or for Nvidia: http://www.nvidia.com/object/custom_resolutions.html

or even easier: Riva Tuner

And then change back to DVI mode. Now you have two monitors. Simply VNC like the OP said, and BOOM!!

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Last edited by Thesandlord; 2009-02-08 at 18:24.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Well, I've made n800 to be additional screen for my HP Mini 2133 and since it has an insane resolution (1280x720 in 9") the DPI is pretty similar to nokias.
BTW. I've made a mistake. You still need ZoneScreen cause XP resets secondary display settings after restart. So to fix it automaticaly you should run ZoneScreen, configure it as described and select "File - Save configuration to run as startup". That will make everything good.

Your instruction worked like a charm.
The only thing I'm trying to figure out now is how I can make the best of this pint sized monitor considering I already run a dual screen.
I have a docked laptop and attached to it is a 22" Widescreen monitor that I use as the primary display.
I think I might run Samurize on my N800 display.

I'd wondered about such possibilities before, and even rigged something similar in Linux, but the ZoneScreen driver was the missing part from a Windows implementation.

Thanks for the pointer to ZoneScreen!

I tried this today with the Windows 7 beta and I finally got it working via the Vista VGA cable and using TightVNC (RealVNC appeared to charge for anything but XP/2000 versions). I set up a secondary 800x600 monitor and then using TighVNC's Selective area settings, selected this screen. It's screen updating is a tad slow and has some artifacting - but it works with Wallpaper and Aero still enabled. This is great for stacking on some of the Gadgets (CPU monitor, Network monitor, IM list - via pidglet) as Win7 kills the sidebar concept for a more free floating placement. Most definitely cool stuff - thanks Thesandlord for the Vista (and Win7) work around.

Originally Posted by wazd View Post
Well, I've made n800 to be additional screen for my HP Mini 2133 and since it has an insane resolution (1280x720 in 9") the DPI is pretty similar to nokias.
BTW. I've made a mistake. You still need ZoneScreen cause XP resets secondary display settings after restart. So to fix it automaticaly you should run ZoneScreen, configure it as described and select "File - Save configuration to run as startup". That will make everything good.
It is weird, even though I followed every step, but when I try to connect to my laptop, my N810 would say "Could not connect to server."

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 which for VNC uses the vino server. I checked and it's running. Ubuntu's remote desktop is setup. I installed VNC viewer on my N810. I'm using a wireless router with the desktop cable connected. VNC works between my laptop and desktop but not withy the N810. On the N810 I enter my desktop's IP and it can't connect. Any suggestions?
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Outstanding!

This post should make the 'news' via engadget or gizmodo. Just post a camera taken picture of your working setup and I'll submit the news tip. They love these types of hacks, especially since small usb auxiliary displays are quite fasionable right now.

The fact that the N810 is versatile enough to handle this type of function should turn more than a few heads!

This is highly significant as it opens the door of using the N810 as a graphical 'touchpad' in a laptop mod. Just what the world (and Capt'n) have been asking for! This would be great for controling the on screen cursor *and* accessing special app buttons and displaying stats in the place where the fairly dry synaptic touchpad once was! Do want!

Pictures please!

YARR!
}:^)~

CAAAP!!

Tags
second display, vnc