Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
I too hope Modest replaces the default mail client in Diablo. That and in-place firmware upgrades would make it a must-have for me. It'll be nice not to have to restore from back-up all the time....
That and the rtcomm update.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Incontheivable!

Originally Posted by bhang View Post
anybody have anythiing more than a guess as to when we will see it?

bhang
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
...soon.
If Diablo is coming soon and the wimax tablet is going to be released this spring, then is it safe to say that the wimax tablet will be running Diablo?

No. That was planned for Diablo.

But other posters are correct-- in the flashing aspect, the new release is major... but in all other respects for the N800 and N810 it can be seen as minor.

Maemo 5 will be OS2009 IIRC.
If Diablo is, in all respects but one, a minor release as far as the N800 and N810 are concerned, then is it a major release for the wimax tablet? If so, maybe there are aspects of Diablo that only the new tablet can take advantage of because of differences in hardware specs. I've been wondering if the wimax tablet would have a more powerful processor and more memory to make it competitive with the MIDs that are coming out this year which are more powerful than the N800 and N810.

I'm a bit confused. Is Diablo Maemo 4.1 or 5.0? The headline of this thread says 4.1 but I've seen it referred to as 5.0 in a few places.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
It seems to be 4.1.

Given the mess we had with 3.x having about twenty different codenames, the point of the bora/chinook/diablo/elephanta was to clarify the codenames within each major release.

If Diablo is 4.1 after all, this could get confusing down the line; but matches with the comments in this thread from Texrat and Mara about the (relatively) contained set of changes.

Originally Posted by Third Echelon View Post
If Diablo is coming soon and the wimax tablet is going to be released this spring, then is it safe to say that the wimax tablet will be running Diablo?.
It certainly can.

If Diablo is, in all respects but one, a minor release as far as the N800 and N810 are concerned, then is it a major release for the wimax tablet? If so, maybe there are aspects of Diablo that only the new tablet can take advantage of because of differences in hardware specs.
Yes, like the WiMAX hardware.

Texrat says "...soon", eh? At this point, there is probably enough "data" in these forums based on Texrat/Mara's comments before previous releases to give a more concrete time frame for what "soon" actually means. I'm too lazy to do it, but it would be funny to see a time line of Texrat's comments against actual release dates for the previous iterations of the OS.

Should we be looking for green clovers in our Lucky Charms? Or perhaps the Easter bunny has something special for us? Or will they make Fool's of all of us and wait 'til April?

Yes, like the WiMAX hardware.
LOL True but I still suspect there is more to this WiMax tablet than just WiMax and I can't wait to find out what's new even if it's just a repositioning of the Nokia logo.

Originally Posted by slip View Post
I'm too lazy to do it, but it would be funny to see a time line of Texrat's comments against actual release dates for the previous iterations of the OS.
Heh... damn, I need to work on being more random in case you guys start ANALyzing!

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
It seems to be 4.1.
Yeah, interesting. I've been under the (apparently false?) impression that Diablo was the codename for OS2009/maemo 5.0, which was what I was basing most of my speculation on regarding its releasing timing and featureset. . . .

So, if Diablo is actually maemo 4.1, then that means that my projections about release in the fall with the N900 are incorrect, and that it's most probably gonna be released with the WiMAX tablet.

. . . more confusion, thanks Nokia!

Good to know that the Diablo features are coming sooner rather than later, though, I guess.

Originally Posted by Third Echelon View Post
. . . but I still suspect there is more to this WiMax tablet than just WiMax . . .
Unlikely. Based on the product code (RX-48), release timeframe, information gathered here and from Nokia announcements, etc, etc.

Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Is there a "roadmap" style report/document on what major milestones are planned for these upcoming releases and what devices it will run on.
Roadmap, and codenames.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-03-12 at 04:51.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Yeah, interesting. I've been under the (apparently false?) impression that Diablo was the codename for OS2009/maemo 5.0, which was what I was basing most of my speculation on regarding its releasing timing and featureset. . . .
Ok, let me throw in a completely unfounded, made-up conspiracy theory.

Nokia promised that the N800 would run Diablo which was originally planned for much later on this year. The tablets are selling better than Nokia expected and the market segment is developing really fast now that the iPhone/Touch and eee-like devices are coming thick and fast.

Then Intel really starts to move on its low power SoC devices and it looks like Nokia are going to have to switch processors soon and that is going to seriously fork the code.

What to do about that Diablo promise? Re-label the next minor release Diablo and move on ...