Active Topics

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Austria
regarding the missing DLNA support:

Does this have to be supported by the OS?
What are the chances that Apps like Helium will work?
What about android apps like "BubbleUPnP"?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
I have always regarded MMS as an expensive gimmick that briefly accompanied the first camera phones of which the pictures quality was hardly usable for "look I am really here" type of picture messages.
That is exactly the use case for MMS, to send picture postcards to your grandma who does not have email.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
I think, the last MMS i sent was back in 2008 with E71... i don't know anyone who still uses this.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 259 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Athens, GR
the only thing i cannot live without is offline maps and live drive navigation. so this is something i really want to see fixed before anything else in jolla phone.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gsalone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Out of 10 MMS i've sent, maybe 3 actually reached their destination, 1 immediately, and 2 arrived days later. And all of them were expensive.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bennypr0fane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Aptoide is another good alternative app store. http://m.aptoide.com/installer?lang=AR

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
This is just a general comment, but it does involve MMS. This is also a personal statement, not something necessarily company-endorsed.
Totally understood... for the record, let's just call this off-the-record and between two guys...

Shipping a working mobile OS is already a lot of work.
I do not doubt this in the least. In fact, I applaud Jolla for pulling it off, shutting a lot of naysayers up. From hereon, it's all about adding features, connecting with the community and growing that market.

Great things lie ahead of Jolla. I'm pretty damn sure of it.

The more features you add, the more work is involved - but the amount of people you have to split that work in our case is quite constant (and the lesson enshrined by the "mythical man month" is that adding a bunch more people won't necessarily solve that problem any more quickly - it may make the situation worse, even).
Been there, done that... left it to much smarter people than I (read: you guys at Jolla and the like).

So you have three essential parameters you can tweak: features (+/-), quality (+/-), schedule (+/-). Pick any two.
I know the mantra of "pick two" rather well. You guys chose well. Put it to you this way; I am patiently waiting in the US for my ability to buy one to support Jolla. I've put aside my planned purchase(s), pulled out my N9 (just in case) and will invariably purchase a Jolla phone.

All because of what you guys have accomplished, will accomplish and how you chose to go about doing so. I'm impressed - not that that means anything to anybody in particular besides myself.

We chose to ship something that we hope is of an acceptable quality on our target schedule, and look at adding more features through software updates. Hopefully when we look back at this in 6 months, that'll seem like a good choice.
See above. You guys chose well. Now... I'll shuddap and go back practicing patience. Kudos Jolla team. Thanks to this entire thread for sharing your experiences. It makes it all that much better in my opinion for all of us here salivating and listening to the pros and cons of Jolla.

Correction: It was the N900 that didn't initially have MMS. The N9 had issues with MMS on T-Mobile. Sorry about the confusion I might have caused.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 49 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
We chose to ship something that we hope is of an acceptable quality on our target schedule, and look at adding more features through software updates. Hopefully when we look back at this in 6 months, that'll seem like a good choice.
That's all I'm asking. I read somewhere, that Jolla plans to release updates monthly, but nothing official. Even releases every 6 months would be far more the average Android phone ever gets.

And before I forget, that was a good and reasonable post. Thank you!

The Following User Says Thank You to Venty For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
That is exactly the use case for MMS, to send picture postcards to your grandma who does not have email.
I understand that is the beautiful potential of it.

In reality I see grandma puzzle her brain over what to do with: "you have received a picture message from... go to following link to receive on her 20 lines of text monochrome old (Nokia) phone.

To do:

XMPP full featured implementation, not only chat -> Jolla
SIP: full featured implementation -> Jolla

in parallel: port fMMS (MMS hopefully from Maemo) -> dev fMMS
eventually integrate MMS -> Jolla

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 49 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
Out of 10 MMS i've sent, maybe 3 actually reached their destination, 1 immediately, and 2 arrived days later. And all of them were expensive.
Well, sorry about that. I have a flatrate with my subscription at Swisscom (Switzerland).

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience