This isn't Jolla or N9 but it could be Nokia keeping Swipe UI alive.
Rumors of Nokia's big Asha update surface.

Phone has 3 different screen.
1) Menu Screen
2) Notification Screen.
3) Application screen.
It does make full sense of Nokia keeping to use Swipe UI and S40 does need major refresh.
Though i'm not sure if Nokia will use Qt. Nokia buying smaerphone (or what the hell was the name of that company?) seems to point at Nokia not going for Qt. Hopefully they do.

http://nokiagadgets.com/2013/03/22/r...with-swipe-ui/

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
it shouldn't be a suprise, elop said the n9 ui was going to live on in future devices. It can't be put into windows phone, or not well, and since asha is a huge part of growth for nokia it makes a ton of sense and its not like the UI is resource heavy. The new asha phones keep looking better really fast

The Following User Says Thank You to waldo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by waldo View Post
it shouldn't be a suprise, elop said the n9 ui was going to live on in future devices.
I think he said it will all go for future distributions. I interpreted it as something for Nokia's internal use when somebody else OS (WP, Windows) can't offer what they need.
For example flexible phone (Nokia kinect) or Nokia glasses type of stuff. Are those far away, they are and that's exactly what i thought. But just for internal projects they need something they can do whatever they want.

Above phone would not be my main phone, but i would buy it immediately as my bar/club phone. It would anyway need to cost below 150 euros to make any sense on Nokia's portfolio. Great looking device.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Nokia has the IP for the UI so it only makes sense. Currently it's not bad, not Swipe makes a lot more sense given how much visual phone UI development and marketing is going.

The Smarterphone acquisition was probably the non-legacy developers to get this UI pushed out the door without the political pressure from MeeGo and S40 teams that don't like the Window Phone direction.

As for the offerings, they will be decent mobiles, bit probably too tired to Nokia services to be as freeing as this level of mobile usually are. The platform will be open enough to let that happen... at least not right now.

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Seems like something Nokia should've done in 2010 with its 2-horn attack with Windows Phail 7.5

I'm flattered

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Asha lineup is great for trendy functional feature phones

The current Asha 311 and its interpretation of Swipe-UI is very disappointing. it has performance issues, low frame-rate, the small screen also doesn't help.
What made the Swipe-UI work on the N9 was a lot of the hardware: high frame-rate because of hardware GPU acceleration and a relatively large screen. Also the lack of buttons emphasized the swipe-usage and the curved glass made swiping feel more smooth.

If they re-introduce the UI on new phones, even if they are budget phones, the UI should work at least as well as on the N9, otherwise it will remain a disappointment for me.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
I'm thinking phones that are 3.3 - 3.7in, qHD resolution, "Low" tier SoC's (Dualcore 1GB RAM MaliGPU), Non-Zeiss PureV cameras, No luxury parts (LTE, Dualband Wifi, NFC, IrDA) and are 10mm's fat.

Have them utilize the OVI store with scalable/compatible Apps by Qt. And are budgeted to be sold under $350 unlocked on a global scale.

...forget it, abandon ship!

I'm flattered

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
about most sense to use swipe and qt yes that would be smart direction. However nokia board is not smart so I doubt they go qt and because of that I do not beleive they can compete in low/midend html5 and halfbacked swipe is not enought to compete with...

asha devices is not even available in my country instead they try sellout lumia for lowprices. Nokia is more an more desperate and ridicilous

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-03-24 at 19:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
They should now atleast introduce multi-tasking in Asha series phones. Swipe ui without multi-tasking is not a good idea.

The Following User Says Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post: