Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ a spot
I find that brightness level 4 is a bit dull and brightness level 5 very bright, there is a huge difference between them. I'm certain that somebody else experiences the same problem. Can I set a brightness level between them? A terminal command? Hm. The issue I've had with brightness, right from the start, is that's the settings aren't fine-grained enough. I usually have it at 4, which is too dark, but 5 is way too bright.

Last edited by GigaByte; 2011-07-24 at 19:44.

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Romania
Could I suggest you to use the edit button and not make triple posts?

Originally Posted by mirciox View Post
Could I suggest you to use the edit button and not make triple posts?
Sure, why not? Duh...

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Have you tried this thread?

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...880#post847880

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Sure, I feel you too.
Code:
root
sed -ie 's/brightness-als/brightness-simple/' /etc/mce/mce.ini
New brightness levels shall appear in settings now.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ammyt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
what 'pantera1989' and 'ammyt' said

if you want total control then install my custom brightness, this will give you the control to use brightness 2 - 255 (under 2 and back-light turns off), but still 253 steps to choice from.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I've always found level 4 to be perfect. At any rate, I wish there was a way to specify the _range_ of brightness, and then have the auto-brightness adjustments range between this. And then, ideally, there would be the option to set any number of levels, each with any range.

That would make more sense, in my opinion, from an end-user convenience+freedom perspective. Is that actually doable with current MCE (without the CPU cost of a seperate program doing the monitoring and and adjusting, and having MCE just not touch the screen brightness, as that's a less than optimal hack).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
I use level 2 with brightness-simple.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
what 'pantera1989' and 'ammyt' said

if you want total control then install my custom brightness, this will give you the control to use brightness 2 - 255 (under 2 and back-light turns off), but still 253 steps to choice from.
Brightness-simple is just great, I'm on level 3. I wonder why NOKIA haven't used that.

The Following User Says Thank You to GigaByte For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
I've always found level 4 to be perfect. At any rate, I wish there was a way to specify the _range_ of brightness, and then have the auto-brightness adjustments range between this. And then, ideally, there would be the option to set any number of levels, each with any range.

That would make more sense, in my opinion, from an end-user convenience+freedom perspective. Is that actually doable with current MCE (without the CPU cost of a seperate program doing the monitoring and and adjusting, and having MCE just not touch the screen brightness, as that's a less than optimal hack).
Well in NITDroid (Android generally), the brightness settings lets you slide a slider from 50 all the way up to 230, and you can choose any level between them (hence a slider), far better than the brightness settings in Maemo.