Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
it's not "kernel-power show" but "kernel-config show"

Hope that is (was) your only problem!

If not, please elaborate..

@bitrocky: you beat me

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Yes, yes, tired fingers typed the wrong code. Nonetheless, when I try to delete kernel-power, I get the response as per my original post.

Question:
What is the difference between these two files (their function):

/etc/default/kernel_power
and
/etc/pmconfig

Still more concerned about not being able to delete.

Originally Posted by reinob View Post
it's not "kernel-power show" but "kernel-config show"

Hope that is (was) your only problem!

If not, please elaborate..

@bitrocky: you beat me

(I mean kernel-power - slippery fingers this morning)

Originally Posted by efeinblatt View Post
Yes, yes, tired fingers typed the wrong code. Nonetheless, when I try to delete kernel-power, I get the response as per my original post.

Question:

and
/etc/pmconfig

Still more concerned about not being able to delete.

unexpected reboot..custom kernel config not loaded.... it is okay?

Yes, that's normal behavior if you have not created a 'default' file. However, if you experience reboots, it means the profile you're loading is not playing nicely with your phone. This happens to me with 'ideal', so I load 'lv' and have no more problems. Limits: 500 850 most of the time

everytitime that happen.. i reboot again to load my default

Let me simplify my problem. I am unable to deinstall kernel-power.

Code:
sudo gainroot
apt-get install --reinstall -y kernel kernel-flasher
returns

Reinstallation of kernel is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
Reinstallation of kernel-flasher is not possible, it cannot be downloaded
When I try to do it automatically with Nokia Kernel, I get the following message:
Error during uninstallation: Could not download Nokia Kernel. Please make sure the internet connection is working.
Yes, I am connected to the internet. Application Manager is not running. I've tried with usb connection, ac connection, and no connection. Battery is full.

You should be able to find a "Deinstall Kernel-Power" application in your apps menu.

As far as I know this is the only "supported" way of removing kernel-power (never tried it though). After that (possibly with a reboot involved), you can install it again.

But I still don't understand why you need to uninstall it (or reinstall it).
What exactly is the problem you have?

Question:

and
/etc/pmconfig
The kernel-power file has the defaults that are passed to kernel-config.

The pmconfig file has parameters that are used by the maemo power management (not sure exactly how these map to kernel parameters).

They do overlap a bit, but AFAIK kernel-power is loaded after pmconfig, so it takes precedence over pmconfig.

Thanks. No particular reason to deinstall. I just like to make sure that everything is working as it should, and since I mucked around a bit, I wanted to deinstall and reinstall again. Code doesn't work and Nokia Kernel (which has replaced Deinstall Kernel-Power" in the newest download (I think) doesn't work either, so something is actually wrong.

Thanks for the explanation of the two files. I assume, then, that the 'kernel-power' file would contain any 'make default' changes I've made. Is this correct? And what if I delete it entirely? What happens then? Defaults to the original maemo power management file - pmconfig - I presume?

Originally Posted by reinob View Post
You should be able to find a "Deinstall Kernel-Power" application in your apps menu.

As far as I know this is the only "supported" way of removing kernel-power (never tried it though). After that (possibly with a reboot involved), you can install it again.

But I still don't understand why you need to uninstall it (or reinstall it).
What exactly is the problem you have?

The kernel-power file has the defaults that are passed to kernel-config.

The pmconfig file has parameters that are used by the maemo power management (not sure exactly how these map to kernel parameters).

They do overlap a bit, but AFAIK kernel-power is loaded after pmconfig, so it takes precedence over pmconfig.

@efeinblatt,

kernel-config runs at every boot and loads, by default, /etc/default/kernel-power.

If you remove it, it will load the one found on /usr/share/kernel-power-settings/default.
(on that folder you have the various defaults, such as ideal, lv, etc.)

pmconfig has nothing to do with it (at least in this context). kernel-config doesn't use or touch it.

Tags
battery-status, bq27x00_battery, kernel, kernel-power, misiak4king, noobs-cant-read, pali4president, patches, readdirections, revolverspinyou