Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Noneus View Post
Why use the mobile apps? You can use the normal apps in the mozilla browser.
Really? Even when you have no wireless connection?

The J2ME apps tend to require a connection as well though ... at least Gmail and Google Maps. Even the native S60 release for Google Maps needs a connection ... only Nokia Maps on the phone can store things in advance ... like Maemo Mapper or the NavKit on the tablet.

It was my impression, at least for docs, that it cached a local copy and you could re-sync it to your google account later. I don't know if mobile gmail does that or not, but it would make sense.

Though, after today, gmail may be less and less of an issue: google finally announced imap support (but only for some accounts right now).

have to try that ... did not know that

I could be wrong about it caching a local copy. But I'd love to know for sure (and I don't have a mobile phone to try it out on).

I am pretty sure it auto-saves as you go ... but not locally at all. If you crash or close the window (and have done one hard save) it should be able to restore your session.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Indeed, Java isn't used in Firefox or Thunderbird. Gecko is the HTML rendering engine used in both (as well as Microb) and it is not written in Java.

Something that *is* written in Java (at least partially) is OpenOffice.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Indeed, Java isn't used in Firefox or Thunderbird. Gecko is the HTML rendering engine used in both (as well as Microb) and it is not written in Java.
Just re-read a bunch of things. I was equating Gecko with Chrome (the UI part of things). Chrome DOES make heavy use of Java (you'll find lots of jar files in the chrome subdir of your thunderbird install, for example). But that doesn't mean that you'd have to implement Gecko with Chrome.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
The JAR files don't contain Java, though :-)

They contain XUL, JavaScript, CSS, images, etc. But no actual real Java bytecode, Java source or anything actually Java related.

now that's just silly. Why did mozilla/netscape call them JAR files if they're not JAR files? :-)