Has anyone tried playing HD videos on Youtube or Gamespot? Can the device handle it or are they unwatchable? Or you simply have to wait a minute or two until it loads them up?

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
I think it's quite unclear yet, but I think we'll be able to with the new firmware.

Yes Nokia has to fix it issues with flash playback. As most of the video we see on youtube has kind of jerky playback..

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ MA, USA
It won't be able to play the HD YouTube videos until Flash 10 for the mobile devices is released. I've heard Jan 2010 as the anticipated timeframe for that.

The Following User Says Thank You to rjcooke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
SD plays completely fine, HD will work just as well when Flash 10.1 is released around January/February.

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
There will not be "HD" (as 720p) videos EVER. The flash isn't optimized that well. Youtube's HD videos shutter on a Dual Core processors so there is just simply no hope of playing them on a device like the N900.

If you have a netbook, surf to youtube and attempt to play a HD video and you'll see how jerky and unwatchable it is.

The Following User Says Thank You to joppu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joppu View Post
There will not be "HD" (as 720p) videos EVER. The flash isn't optimized that well. Youtube's HD videos shutter on a Dual Core processors so there is just simply no hope of playing them on a device like the N900.

If you have a netbook, surf to youtube and attempt to play a HD video and you'll see how jerky and unwatchable it is.
Looking at the smoothness of flash 10.1 on an N900 here, I still hold out some hope.
http://maemocentral.com/2009/10/08/v...1-on-the-n900/

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by bocaJ View Post
Looking at the smoothness of flash 10.1 on an N900 here, I still hold out some hope.
http://maemocentral.com/2009/10/08/v...1-on-the-n900/
That's not a flash video.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
720p would seem overkill on an 800X480 res device. It would also run hotter and drain the battery quicker. My Archos 5 has the same basic chipset as the N900 and 720p on the A5 gets the device hot after about 5 minutes and it was designed to be a video player and is a bigger device. Zune HD gets hot too.

Not to mention the Archos gets hot and has discrete heat sinks to cool it and uses the metal of the case to help in the heat dissipation.

The netbooks without decent GPU's or one at all will always run 720p poorly. You would need to get a netbook with an active GPU that handles 720p. There are plenty of them out now and cost the same price. Kind of the same reason why video is poor on the 7200 mobile chipsets- no active GPU, so CPU is doing everything.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-11-01 at 17:05. Reason: Battery addition

The Following User Says Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post:
Nokia is always slow in everything aint' they?? From delaying shipment to updating Flash 10.1 ....ect...Droids already got the 10.1? Go figure!

Tags
hd videos, streaming, youtube