Originally Posted by Mandibela View Post
I THINK that fragmentation and wear are the two major issues with transfer rates slowing down

As far as I've learned, fragmentation should have no real bearing on speed of flash memory.

Wear should only matter if the memory is at the end of it's read/write lifespan.

The Following User Says Thank You to Konceptz For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the tip. I don't need one yet, but now that I know they're in the wild, I can watch for them for future needs.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by SAABoy View Post
Ok guys, heres my noob question.

The N900 is advertised as having expandable memory UP TO 16gb. Is that just a suggestion? Is there not any reason it can't handle 32gb? Did Nokia advertise 16gb as that was the largest memory available?
As I posted earlier in the year, the N900 seems to work fine with the 32GB though I didn't fill it up.

Originally Posted by pagesix1536 View Post
Sandisk released their 32GB card today... $200 US though. That's kinda pricey considering their 16GB card can be found for $50 US.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...anos/?news=123
i agree. give it a few weeks it will be down to a reasonable price again. i refuse to pay that much.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I'll save you some time....

<insert rants about N900 memory limitations>

<apologetic remarks on N900's limitations and how they came about>

<ultimatum to sell his N900 if it doesn't support 32GB microSD>

<snippy quip about iPhone's non expandable memory>

<long piece about iPhone's business model>

<reminder to get back to topic>

<personal attack>
Just what I needed as I`m about to head out for work

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 268 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by jflatt View Post
Also, the 32GB sandisk is class 2
Where did you get that information? Class 2 is too slow for a 16 GB card, not to mention 32 GB. It will slow things down. Sigh, my 16 GB is class 4, i will not buy a slower card. At 200 $, you would think it is at least class 6.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tsippaduida For This Useful Post:
The problem is density - with current fab processes (and I suspect for a while still yet) to get 32GB into a uSD you need to use MLC flash - which is slower (and less reliable) than SLC (which takes much more space). Thats why you dont get 6 speed 16GB cards either.

The Following User Says Thank You to phedders For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Tsippaduida View Post
Where did you get that information? Class 2 is too slow for a 16 GB card, not to mention 32 GB. It will slow things down. Sigh, my 16 GB is class 4, i will not buy a slower card. At 200 $, you would think it is at least class 6.
ty for the SD education. I am a sucker who just brought a class 2 16 GB micro sdhc card on ebay. I know better now for next time

Originally Posted by Konceptz View Post
As far as I've learned, fragmentation should have no real bearing on speed of flash memory.

Wear should only matter if the memory is at the end of it's read/write lifespan.
It doesn't have much impact on read-speeds.

On write speeds it's worse than harddrives. If you write 4k to sd card, the sd card must internally read 256, change 4k of it, and write it back. Take 256/4 and you get the slowdown factor. Obviously, writing 256k for a 4k request means the flash is taking much more wear.

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 268 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by phedders View Post
The problem is density - with current fab processes (and I suspect for a while still yet) to get 32GB into a uSD you need to use MLC flash - which is slower (and less reliable) than SLC (which takes much more space). Thats why you dont get 6 speed 16GB cards either.
Hmm... Seems to me some manufacturers use speedier technology (class 6 & class 10). Check these out:
http://www.transcend.nl/Products/Mod...pNo=1&LangNo=0
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/conf...16GB-2ADP&id=1

Last edited by Tsippaduida; 2010-03-23 at 07:57. Reason: Fixed typing

Tags
32 gb, 32gb, accessory, card, flash card, flash storage, microsd, microsd card, microsdhc, microsdhc card, n800, n810, n900, removable storage, secure digital